News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New Caveat for Car purchases from huricane or flood areas

Started by GBrown #8092, April 24, 2017, 10:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBrown #8092

I recently had an experience purchasing a car from Florida. I thought I'd share to save you the hassle I'm going through.
I ran into a problem when I went to register it. The DMV (in Illinois) is rather picky about what they will issue titles on, and demanded a notarized National disaster disclosure from the seller to get a title and plate.  They said because it was from an area that experiences hurricanes and flooding. There was no way around it, you either submit the form or you have a large lawn ornament.  Yes, you could probably forge it, but I'm an attorney, and one that actually has ethics. Plus if they check the signature and here they do, or verify with the seller they signed it, you're going to have much bigger problems than not being able to register the car

I'm fortunate in that I can still communicate withe the owner (he's a club member), and he's willing to execute the form.   You'll be in big trouble if you buy from Craigslist, or at swap meet or some seller you can't easily reach.

Word to the wise. Check with your DMV before you buy to see if they require that form if you are buying a car from an area that has had a natural disaster in the recent past.

Happy motoring!

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The worst part is that we actually pay the salaries of the people who come up with nonsense like this.  ::)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Caddyholic

Glen

We have  some of the worst floods on record in ILL. Every car in ILL. would fall under this right. When did this start?
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

So what happens if you own a car in a "disaster area" and decides to move to Illinois? Would you then be required to fill out that form by yourself?

7gen

There's a list of zip codes affected at http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/naturaldisastervehicles.html

Illinois apparently exempted its own counties a few years back.

This is pretty extreme but so is someone purchasing a car that has been submerged. There are a lot of unscrupulous sellers out there.

GBrown #8092

Good question, Jim, I'll ask.
I'm guessing if you move into state you fill it out yourself.

Having dealt with "salvage" title cars, and currently also dealing with a rebuilt title car, Illinois has a well deserved rep for making it very hard to title those cars as well.  Might actually be a good thing in teh bigger scheme of things, but has been a major pain

Glenn

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

QuoteThe worst part is that we actually pay the salaries of the people who come up with nonsense like this.  ::)

Thank God we don't get all the government we pay for.
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

cadillacmike68

Typical over-regulated state crapola.  Glad I don't live there (or in MA or NY anymore).

Oh yeah, if you can't tell a car was flooded out within 5 minutes of inspecting it, then you deserve what's coming to you.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

chrisntam

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on April 25, 2017, 01:59:05 AM
snip........ if you can't tell a car was flooded out within 5 minutes of inspecting it, then you deserve what's coming to you.

Yabbut, people see what they want to see (in an old car).

I agree with your statement though.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

As with most other things in life, "flood car" is a gray area.

There are many different reasons that would trigger a flood title, history etc., not every event so recorded signifies the vehicle having been fully submerged but that is the conclusion many assume upon hearing "flood history".

To wit - I once owned an absolutely impeccable 1999 Lincoln Continental Signature with 30,000 that was like new in all ways but it had a flood title. After being completely unable to determine the reason why, I called the previous owner who informed me that he had been driving the car in a heavy rainstorm but whe he hit a very large puddle, a large amount of water was sucked into the engine through the air intake, destroying the engine.

The insurance company replaced the engine, but the title was branded "Flood" because water was the cause of the loss, despite no other damage having occurred. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

cadillac ken

I'm guessing it's not necessarily the Government.  More like the Insurance Lobbyist that don't want to be on the hook for repairs -- covering their profit margins and their backsides. 

Here in Florida auto insurance agencies will not even repair a car that has had water intrusion into the cabin with as little as any standing water in the floorboards.  Too much liability for them with future repairs.  They just as soon "total" the car.  Believe me, I've seen perfectly good (almost new) cars with little or no damage to speak of simply relegated to the junkyard for this very reason.

Do you really think that seat belts, air bags, and other safety features are because the industries have our best interest at heart?  More like a viable way to reduce payouts in the event of an accident.

People call me cynical.  I call it getting older and wiser to the real issues--- $$$

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, the Auto Insurance companies don't want any "flood claim vehicle" returned to the road, simply because once flooded, they are never the same.

Water gets into places that can never be completely dried out, and once returned to the road, and re-insured by another insurer, there is the probability that the car could suffer another "event" requiring another payout, or repair, which reveal the previous hidden damage that manifests itself.

Here we have cases where vehicles are classified as Written Off (Not to be returned to the road, and for parts only) and Repairable Write-offs (must be inspected once repaired).

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon