News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Argh! rear-ended!

Started by dochawk, March 25, 2017, 07:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dochawk

The Las Vegas chapter was invited to the Maloof collection this morning--a private collection, not open to the public.

Almost there, it had to be in a block or two, and I saw Colin's '28, followed by a '41, in the left turn lane going the other direction.

Great!  they're probably going into this driveway, so I stopped to follow them through.

*wham*

rear-ended.

It doesn't look like it's *too* bad.  Left rear bumper driven in about three inches, a broken sense, and the left exhaust an inch or two too low.

*sniff*

At least he was insured.

As described by another member who saw it (several happened to; the turn was actually to the next driveway), he actually stopped, then started to swerve around me, then hit me with no other traffic there . . .

And my neck started hurting fairly quickly, which is abnormal for such a collision.

hawk

p.s.  If '41s are your thing, this is the collection to see.  32 of them, I believe, some even identical.  The entire collection seemed to be about 2/3 Cadillac, and apparently *all* of these cars start and run.  A handful of lincolns, three replica Duesenbergs--and three real ones, two, including a boat tail and a supercharged specimen (apparently, the supercharger assembly alone is about $100k these days . . .).
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

35-709

Sorry to hear about that idiocy.  Everybody is in a big rush and/or just not paying attention.  Big Red got rear-ended a couple of years ago by a 40 year old woman in a Hyundai, she was texting.  I was stopped at a traffic light with my wife and another couple on our way to dinner.  Texting in downtown rush hour traffic --- she never touched her brakes!  Hagerty Insurance shelled out $10,000 and B.R. was as good as before, try finding a one year only '35 Cadillac rear bumper though.  Still drive B.R. regularly and will be driving the old boy to the Washington, DC GN.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

dochawk

I took it in to my regular body shop and the insurance place that does their eval. 

It looks like under $2k, unless they find more once they have the bumper wrap, etc., off (which my shop warns is a distinct possibility), so I don't have to worry about them totaling it.

This car is meant to be my daily driver for another 20 years or so . . .

hawk

p.s.  It hit 100k today
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

Carl Fielding

Hi Rick ! Oh , sorry to see you got hit. I hope you are feeling better , and the damage to your neck is not serious. I got hit in the left rear of a '73 SDV by a car failing to yield, reduced visibility due to sun angle. Snapped the Cad around a little over 180 degrees. I could feel every vertebrae "pop" in order from mid back up. Ended facing the other way feeling like something hit the left side of my head. Weird. I had a slight pain for about a year at a very specific spot mid back. One day that spot became very painful so I made an appointment to see a neurosurgeon. The day of my appointment, the pain TOTALLY disappeared, and never came back ! That was 30 years ago ! Don't take any chances with spinal injury.

I talked to Colin , John , and Jason recently. I absolutely MUST get back and at the very least , drive the '27 to L.A. My recent cardiac problems have been relieved , and I got as clean a bill of health as possible under the circumstances ! Pacemaker next time. Well , I know you are very busy , particularly with this recent event. Please give me a call when you get a chance to relax. Try the 408-621-8261 number first. And make sure to do exactly what the doctors tell you about your neck. You know all of your CLC brothers and sisters wish you well !   - Carl

dochawk

I'm glad your health is better. I look forward to seeing you.

I seem ok; there's one spot of sore muscle and a bid of residual stiffness.  Except for the initial headache, it didn't get much worse than a day overdoing it on the yard or house repairs.

The initial estimate is about $1300, and the insurance isn't disputing it.  However, they seem to think that the bumper-wrap panel can be repaired; we shall see . . .

grandads59

My expierence with adjusters is they think everything can be fixed.  I usually try to meet with the body man 1 on 1 and tell him how I would like it repaired.  Good luck.

J Hartwell

Bill Young

I would Love to see pictures of your '72

dochawk

Quote from: Bill Young on April 25, 2017, 07:35:28 PM
I would Love to see pictures of your '72

There are some at http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=142373.0

Three more bolts on the fan, and I should be ble to back it out again . . .