News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1930 Radiator Removal

Started by g8kpr, March 25, 2017, 08:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8kpr

Any tips on removing the radiator on a 1930 Cadillac?

It looks like you need to remove the hoods

remove the support rods

remove the 3 nuts on each side that hold the support

remove the two screws at base

does it just lift out at that point?

Do you need to remove the headlights ?

any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

you got it R., just disconnect the radiator hoses and it should just pull straight up and out.

why are you taking the radiator out?

mike #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

g8kpr

Thanks Mike 

So no need to remove head lights if it comes straight out then.

It has a leak about halfway down hoping to have it repaired.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

The radiator is heavy so get ready for that , but the headlights aren't involved.

My radiator is held on by that V bracket at the top bolted back to the firewall and the 2 big bolt setting pins on the bottom.

Remember... heavy, get stuff out of the way and go straight up with it.....gota clear that fan.

Mike  #15848
Mike
Baillargeon

Chris Cummings

How are you getting the radiator repaired?

Chris Cummings

g8kpr

Is there something I am missing?

Are you not able to get them repaired or re-soldered where leaking like a normal radiator?

m-mman

Not mentioned but I learned on my 29. Removed all the 'trim' first.  Cap, Chrome shell, shutters, etc.

I was shocked at how heavy these things are. There are no natural 'handles' and while it can be maneuvered around the headlights and fenders the chances of hitting & scratching something are high.

Anything that can lighten the load is worthwhile. I pulled mine by myself <whew> but it really should have been with 2-3 people OR with a engine lift device, especially to avoid damage.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Mike Baillargeon #15848

WOW J. !

I can't imagine pulling the Radiator by myself.

Even with 3-4 guys, think where everybody has to stand to lift it up and out.....fenders, motor everything is in the way.     It's a tough job without a small overhead crane or a forklift with a boom.

Mike  #15848

Mike
Baillargeon

Joe Konarowski

Very difficult to repair a honeycombed rad. You may have to seal off that one tube. I had a bad leak in the centre also and used a rad sealant five years ago and no problems yet. I drive in on tours in Canada and US so it is getting a workout.