News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Deville bucket seats

Started by e.kempton, March 26, 2017, 10:17:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e.kempton

Has anyone ever seen any 1968 Deville's with the bucket seat option?  I have never seen them other then in the sales catalog.  I am looking to buy a 1968 Deville conv. with bucket seats.  Thanks

Scot Minesinger

A 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible equipped with factory installed bucket seats that is for sale and in a condition and color combo you want likely does not exist.  The bucket seats for the 67 and 68 Cadillac are probably the same frame (but different seat back and upholstery pattern) and you will probably need to hunt a pair of them down and install them in a bench seat 1968 DVC.  This will undoubtedly require re-upholstery work, mounting of console and etc.  Best to find a 68 with buckets than make a 67 work if it is possible.  I have never seen a bucket seat 1967 or 1968 Cadillac.  One time an owner used GM bucket seats from another make (maybe Pontiac) and upholstered them in Cadillac pattern and it looked Cadillac factory like in the 1968 Cadillac.  This was stated in the e-bay add or would never have known.

I have seen bucket seats of course in 1959, 1960, 1962, and 1966 Eldorados. 

The bench seats are nice though because in a convertible three can ride up front and be part of the conversation.  When my parents were alive and came to visit me, my Mother rode in front between my Dad and I with top down in 1970 DVC.

Enjoy the search! 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I once saw a new on the showroom floor 1967 DeVille convertible with bucket seats and a small center console. In the fifty years since, I have not seen another.

e.kempton

It is good to know someone has seen a car with bucket seats. Thanks much.

D.Smith

I've come across a few 1968 Deville convertibles with the optional bucket seats.   I spotted this one online in 2015.

D.Smith

This one from July 2013.   

Bill Young

I have never seen a factory installed 1968 DeVille Convertible with bucket seats in person . I have seen many years ago a 1968 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham in triple Burgundy with every available option for '68 with special order Factory Bucket seats with console upholstered with the buckets matching the rear seat which the data book for '68 says that if you order that car with buckets that they will have DeVille pattern upholstery and not match the rear seat but this car did and to top it off in spite of every option ordered the car had the AM radio. It had the window sticker in the glove compartment even though it was in a junk yard rotted out. I thought that was weird on a loaded '68 Brougham special order car till I noticed it had been ordered by someone from Jamestown New York and figured that there probably were  no FM stations then in Jamestown New York.

e.kempton

Wow! That is great there is such a thing to look for.  Thanks much for the pictures.

Chuck Patton

Hello Evan

Good question I hope you find the rare bucket seat vehicle you are searching for.  Dave I appreciate you for sharing the pictures.  Thank you very much.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

D.Smith

Quote from: e.kempton on March 26, 2017, 08:49:42 PM
Wow! That is great there is such a thing to look for.  Thanks much for the pictures.

You're welcome.   Keep in mind that buckets were only offered in black or sandalwood (shown above) colors.   Although it was possible to get any production interior color with buckets as a special order at extra cost.     I know of a 67 Eldorado with a bright red leather interior and buckets with console.    Verified the body tag to make sure it was a legit S.O. car too.   So anything is possible.    But buckets were far less common on the Devilles than the Eldorados.

cadillacmike68

I think the bench seat in the 1968 coupes and convertibles looks better than the buckets. First, the seats are much more substantial. Second with the armrest down, it looks like a set of bucket seats. Third, as Scot mentioned, you can seat 6.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

joeinbcs

I've owned two Eldorado bucket seats/console setups.  One from a '67, and one from a '68.
The '67 seats have metal shells, the '68's have plastic...otherwise pretty much the same.  I also have a '70 Eldorado with buckets/console.
I believe the same basic seats were used in the DeVille, just with a different upholstery pattern.
I've seen these seats in convertibles, a few Coupe DeVille's, and even a Sedan DeVille once or twice...rare, but not unheard of.
They look really cool, but as somebody pointed out, the bench seat is more comfortable.  There is no support for your right arm in the bucket seat cars.  I suppose if you were going to reupholster the seats you could add an armrest that's attached to the upper driver seat, like Mercedes used for years (I have one of these, and it works very well), but it wouldn't look right.
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

blugg

Speaking of buckets I seeking a center console for the mid 60s bucket variant.    Blugg@msn.com if someone has a lead on a center bucket console / armrest / glove box.   Believe 65, 66, 67 all used the same.

Chuck Patton

Hello Jeff

Glad to read you are improving your Cadillac.  To fulfill your part request contact Jeff Burland  willingtoncadillacemail addresses not permitted
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

Scot Minesinger

e.kempton,

There may be a bucket seat 1968 Cadillac convertible out there, but extremely unlikely if even for sale.  One of my friends is looking for a very good condition 1968 Cadillac Convertible in great condition in a decent color and has traveled the Country scouring thru adds and the like to no avail for a few years now.  If he added bucket seats to his wish list not one would have been considered out of maybe 30 adds, with just 6 or so that were available and claimed to be worthy of going and seeing only to reject for faulty condition (misrepresented by dealers). 

Bucket seats were a very rare option, contrary to dual comfort seats offered in 1969 and newer.  If you wanted a bucket seat 1969 or 1970 Cadillac convertible you could buy a dual comfort seat option and then buy another driver dual comfort seat for passenger side and do some modification work to have it look factory, including console manufacture.

I maintain you will have a difficult time finding a nice 1968 Cadillac convertible for sale with working climate control, no rust, great cosmetics, working mechanicals, and the like.  Then you will have to hunt down a set of buckets and console from a donor Cadillac and make the switch.

Frankly, the bench is better and consequently since it was, the bucket seat option was rare, as it was not as good (comfort).

Anyway, best of luck and enjoy the search!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Chuck Swanson

Seen a few out there.  I passed on two in the last couple years as I'm more of a 65-66 guy :)  Here is one, 67, I passed on for $5000 in '14.  Offered 4, guy was firm, I went up to $4500, but he said no :) Had the typical rust on fenders/quarters but ran/drove...had some front end issues.  Chuck
CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

exos cadillac

1967 cadillac aqua and white bucket seats with console

billyoung

That 1967 DeVille Convertible with the bucket seats and console with the special order color combination is wild. Also notice that the car has Climate Control, power vents, and Stereo but no Tilt and telescope column.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.