News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Preserve the Cadillac or drive it?

Started by Scot Minesinger, April 08, 2017, 08:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

It is an easy choice when you own a wonderful restored Cadillac - drive it, originality ship has already sailed and it can always be restored again.  If you own a very low mileage, original (for real - we all know what that means), rare, and valuable Cadillac (such as say a 1960 Eldorado Brougham) strictly from an economic perspective, it should be driven only enough to keep it mechanically good plus on and off the trailer.  These are two extremes, where do you draw the line?

I do own a 1970 DVC with 130k miles that was totally restored at 90k miles, and enjoyed many improvements to the restoration in the last decade and 40k miles.  So no question - it is driven.

Also restoring another 1970 Cadillac with 104k miles, which will be driven and enjoyed lightly when finished.

My 1970 SDV has 37k miles with original paint (7 out of 10) and a perfect original vinyl top.  I have restored all the mechanicals to perfect (rubber parts, timing chain, rear main seal...been written before), and so how often should I allow myself to drive it?  I drive it whenever the weather is just a little too cold to drop the top on the DVC and of course roads are unsalted.  Also try and drive it at least once a week to keep it mechanically good.  I think give the situation, more inclined to drive it than not when stuck on the notion of preserve it or enjoy it.  After all, it is not super valuable and the original paint is not perfect.  And then the question comes up - should I paint it or not - thinking no because then would have to re-chrome everything too (chrome is mostly 4 out of 5, 5 being best).

I am more of a consumer of originality (driver) than a preservationist, and it would not be a great idea for me to buy a valuable, low mileage, rare, and expensive original because it would be too difficult not to drive it.  I thank the preservationists for bringing those wonderful Cadillacs to the shows!

Comments?
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

INTMD8

I understand your concerns. I have two cars that are near perfect that I rarely drive. One restored and one mostly original.  Yes they could be restored in the future but being (almost) perfect I would like to keep them that way.

On the other hand, I drive my beat up 59 all the time. If someone opened a door into it I wouldn't even know. Another rock chip? Who could tell.

I really enjoy it as it is so I will not restore it just to park it alongside my other rarely used cars.

Now, whether or not something -should- or -shouldn't- be driven is entirely up to the owner. 

If someone has a perfect 5k mile time capsule Eldo Brougham and his dream is a coast to coast road trip, who am I to say otherwise.

76eldo

My 70 convert is an all original 30K mile car.  It had 28K on it when I bought it.  I cleaned it and detailed it and drove it to the Boston GN the year I bought it.  I try to minimize wear and tear on the car but to keep it covered up or just let it sit in the garage would be a shame.  I still do not really like to take it anywhere where I need to park it with "regular" cars like at a diner or make a stop to shop for anything while I am out.

My 76 Eldo has been repainted and although quite nice could use another paint job.  I am more comfortable parking that somewhere because it's more driver quality.

With an original paint car you are more paranoid because if you get a dent or a scratch you have a problem.

Considering that someone just keyed the front fender of my wife's 2017 CT5 I really wonder what is in the mind of some people.

Still, these are cars and the most enjoyment is in the driving.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

I drive my Cadillac whenever I can, and if it is raining during the run, I treat that as a way of washing the underneath of the car.

Here in Tasmania, it is imperative that the demisters are working, as well as the windscreen wipers and washers.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: 76eldo on April 08, 2017, 08:29:55 AM
Considering that someone just keyed the front fender of my wife's 2017 CT5 I really wonder what is in the mind of some people.

There is no CT5 (yet, anyway) so I assume you mean XT5.   "CT" is for cars and "XT" is for crossovers.

Dan LeBlanc

I donned the preservation cap for awhile (3 years) and it really wasn't for me. Being in my late 30s (ok, 40 next year, so I'll hang on to the 30s thing as long as I can) there's only so many cars I can have. Plus I'm out of space on the property - the 70 resides in the heated attached garage and the 53 project and parts car reside in the attached garage. At my stage in life, there's also only so much cash to go around.

That said, I had to sell my preserved original. For me the fun is in the driving. With my preserved original, it wasn't a car I could hop in and take to work if I felt the urge. I have no problem doing that with the 70. The preservation aspect just sucked all the enjoyment out of it for me. Plus, it was a car that everyone had an opinion on. Not so much with the 70.

Case in point with the enjoyment - my hood was slightly out of adjustment on the 70. It was hitting the door on the rear corner and caused a chip. Anyone familiar with the 70 knows the area I speak of where the fender, door, and hood all meet. When I adjusted it, I sent it too far to the driver's side and chipped the front fender. It was a bad day in the garage that day. But, I ordered some touch up paint (which ended up not matching perfectly).  So, you can still see my sins. Had that been the Fleetwood, I would've had my head in the toilet throwing up over it. This one, I did a short term fix until I have the opportunity to have them blown in properly.

So, what Brian and Scot say about original vs restored are sentiments that hit close to home with me. For those of you that enjoy preserving an original, my hat is off to you. It's a very delicate balance you play with. I tried it and it just wasn't for me. 
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

76eldo

Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillac ken

my MO:  finish a car and keep it nice, drive it sparingly, and show it for fun.

After a few years, I just enjoy it at will-- still keep it nice though.

59-in-pieces

Sorry, I just gotta drive'm.
I spend a ton o'time doing the frame off - it's not just going to sit around after that.
What the heck, if it gets a little shabby, I'll restore it again.

Brings to mind my mothers 56 sedan - 2 colors of blue, with leather and fancy clothe seat covers - which she put clear plastic seat covers on.
Yes, cold in the Cali. winters, and slippery hot in the summer - in shorts.
I just couldn't understand covering the seats so they would be good for the next owner - WHAT WAS THAT ALL ABOUT?
But, there was that one time when our Great Dane got car sick in the back seat - glad they were covered then - I was in charge of clean up.

You got a classic Cad - just drive - don't save it for the next owner.
The only people who benefit from its pristine condition are your heirs - the car is sold and gone, and so are you.
IMHO.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

David Greenburg

As the current caretaker of Dan's '61 Fleetwood, I am trying to balance preservation and enjoyment.  I  drive it on weekends for fun and to local show/cruise-ins.  In the past, I seem to put 1800-2000 miles/ year on my collector car; this mileage will now be split between the Fleetwood and my '60 Seville. So I figure if I drive it that way for, say 15 years, I will still have a very nice low mileage car.  I might feel differently if it was a '53 Eldo or a'58 Brougham.  But as much as I love it (and I do have a preference for top of the line 4 doors when it comes to luxury cars), as a 4 door that was not super rare, it will never be a really big money car.  So I don't feel like I'm doing economic harm by enjoying it.

The rain has stopped and the sun is out.  I'm going to install the new old-style black and yellow CA plates that just arrived and take it for a spin.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Walter Youshock

Tough call but even tougher when you're in a temperate climate.

I took my '91 Brougham out of daily service after a hit and run accident about a year after I bought it.  It now goes on driving tours, grand nationals and other trips where my parents accompany me.  I also take it the 9 miles round trip to work maybe once a week over the summer.

It's difficult to resist the temptation to drive it daily but it makes the times I do drive it that much more rememberable.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Scot,
Why do you have the car in the first place?

There's your answer.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Walter Youshock

I think it's somewhat fair to say that we all have a certain favorite car that is not subject to abuse but we need an extra for daily duty.  Unfortunately, years go on.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Mike Baillargeon #15848

My opinion drive the car.

I had a 1929 Cadillac Roadster out today............lots of thumbs up....I'm hoping some kid said to himself I'm going to own a Cadillac like that.

Drive the car,    they need to be seen...........once they are seen the bug bites...........

Mike  #15848
Mike
Baillargeon

Walter Youshock

So, come Monday morning when you  have a dental appointment and then need to go to the office and then, at 5 or 530, need to pickup a loaf of bread at the grocery store, you'll take the 89 year old car out on today's streets.  Well, God bless you.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

Plus, it is nice being a pensioner, as on can, when the weather is fine, simply hop into the car and go for a drive.

Got to keep up the maintenance on these "Old" cars.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

WTL

Might ought to be an emotional decision. 

If you can chip the paint, or put on 4,000 miles a year, or dent the bumper a bit without totally losing it...then maybe you should drive it. 
But if its a perfect 59, or a V-16, or something in between...might need to save it for future generations. 

For me there is an added financial constraint.  My wife's saturn died in december, so we are down to 3 cars between the two of us and we commute quite a bit.  I find in necessary to have the option to drive my Fleetwood, to take pressure off of my 240k truck.  Also, I don't have the money to be able to steward over it looking for originality and properness, and it is a 136k car anyways, so, its been driven, thats it's life, and its damn good at it. 

chrisntam

Drive it. 

Say you drive it 500 miles a year, in 10 years, it will have 42k on it.  Still a low mileage car.  Or 300 miles a year, it'll be at 40k.  Still a low mileage car.

I say, value wise, it won't matter if the odo reads 37k or 42k.

Yes, it is a low mileage car, it will, in general always be a low mileage car, but it's not a highly desireable car (except to Cadillac owners).  Don't intend to hurt feelings, But that's how I see it.

Drive it periodically to enjoy and to keep the seals well lubed.

It is a sedan deville or is a hardtop sedan deville?

70-683 68349B Hardtop Sedan deVille $6,118 Weight: 4725 Built: 83,274
70-683 68369L Sedan deVille $6,118 Weight: 4690 Built: 7,230

Because they made so many DVCs, they will never be overly valuable...

70-683 68367F DeVille Convertible $6,068 Weight: 4660 Built: 15,172
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

STS05lg

I would like to add to the discussion: I try to drive one of my classics each weekend just to keep them lubricated and keep the juices circulated. This winter we were lucky that they only salted the roads twice and each time it rained within a week and washed it all off. However, i agree it is difficult when the car is low mileage. My Jennifer Blue only had 25K miles in 2010 and now she has 33K and it is not like I take here on vacation. All the mileage is from weekend drives in the country or to CLC regional shows yet i have put 8K miles on her. It is the same with the Calmet Cream Eldorado. She only has 23K and I am going to only drive her on the occasional weekend and to the occasional shows. Hopefully I can be more careful about running up the miles. However, I the Talisman has been to Wisconsin and I plan to take her on vacation this year because she already has over 50k and is a great road car. Plus I and debating having her painted this fall because she is Blue Firemist and and paint is showing its age. unlike the other two that that have all original paint (non-firemist). I agree with my good friend Scot that we need to drive the cars so a new generation can see what they are missing in their gray/black/white modern cars. Just my 2 cents worth... Thanks, Lynn

Scot Minesinger

All,

My 1970 SDV is not that difficult of a question - drive or preserve, because it is not super valuable - it will be driven.  My question was more towards the unrestored super nice original 1962 EBZ owner crowd.  I work out of my house, and so normal driving for me is like 10k a year total not counting trips for kids college.  In total, the most I ever drove one classic (back when it was just one) was 4k miles (40%).  Now there are more to drive, so at most probably put 2k on each one.

Jeff - do not worry I'm driving it.

Chris - it is a hardtop, see picture.  Kind of cool colors, Patina silver with dark blue vinyl top and med. blue leather interior (special option leather color listed in dealer brochure, but not in dealer upholstery book).  Dash and interior "A: windshield pillars are dark blue matching the top.  It has cruise, tilt, rear defog, leather, trunk release,

Lynn - The Talisman should be the enjoyed most miles driver, I agree.  On exterior, get the top and sun roof dealt with before paint.  If you do ever get caught in rain, that could be bad.  After seeing that no vinyl top 1976 CDV, I would remove the top and figure out something with sun roof (think it may have required a sun roof?, as it did in 1970).  If top was painted, you would have less concerns with rain.  If I ever repaint my 1970 SDV it will be a tough decision - remove perfect vinyl top or retain it?  Maybe that is a topic for another post. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty