News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Back-up camera for vintage cars?

Started by 67_Eldo, April 11, 2017, 12:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67_Eldo

Does anyone use a back-up camera in their vintage Caddy?

I'm looking for one for my 67 Eldorado. With the somewhat recessed license-plate location, I'm wondering if I might need to add spacers to get the camera closer to the outside edge of the rear bumper. Otherwise, the recess for the license plate might put too much of a "blinder" on both sides, resulting in tunnel vision.

fishnjim

I don't see much need for one unless you have some tight spots to navigate/back into.   
I use them on the truck for hitching/towing, and have one on the back of the boat, so I can see what's behind when the covers on.   I switched to two wheel drive and this one doesn't sit high enough like the 4x4s.  They're quite wide angle so I don't think you'll have any problem with a license plate mount camera being blocked, but you'll want one that has a wide field of focus not a one for close up backing/hitching.   They stick out a few inches.

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I just have mine zip tied to a piece of the frame. Don't use it much but it has come in handy a couple of times. It was one of those that fit on the license plate bracket. I just took it off the bracket to mount. It's small and sits in about a foot so you don't really see it. Took power from backup lights. Green wire I think but doublecheck that.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Anything is possible, but the Reversing Cameras were invented for the latest vehicles as they have been built in such a way that they are impossible to see out of the back of them.   Caused by the lack of rearward vision, head restraints, and simply, too smaller windows.    All to do with rear crash protection.

Bring back the days of the '60 Cadillac, where there is 360 degree panoramic vision, no matter how many passengers are comfortably seated within.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

Agree with Bruce - no need, unless you have a neck issue or something and cannot turn around.  The creased corners of the fenders and decent back window make backing easy compared to a modern car.  I always turn around when backing and do not see the back up camera screen in a modern car.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Actually mine was a gift from kids. I don't use it much mostly because I park at the end of the parking lots but there have been times where I have backed it into a tight spot and it is handy.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

67_Eldo

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I'm not planning on using it as a substitute for normal backup behavior. But parking lots are frequently frantic these days. If I park next to a large truck or a van, for example, and I'm backing out of a spot at the convenience store, I simply can't see what's coming down the lane.

Any more, as people zip into or out of the parking lot, drivers would rather take the rear end off of someone else's car than give others the benefit of the doubt regarding visibility. And in a Cadillac, you have to move *lots* of sheet metal out into the lane before you're able to see the bigger picture. So maybe even three rear-view cameras -- left, right, and center -- are called for! :-)

G Pennington

Boy I sure could use one on  my '41 convertible!!  Blind quarters, tiny rear window.  Yeah, I love the styling, but with the top up, you can't see anything!  Getting a camera to operate on 6V positive ground will be a challenge...  too much on my plate right now, but a good future project.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

cadillacmike68

Not needed when the top is down! - which is most of the time...
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

David Greenburg

I added one to an older daily driver a few years ago, and it was helpful for the situations you describe, and also for parallel parking.  Didn't have the wide angle view of the built in cameras on new cars, but you could see enough.  The screen was 2" square; tiny compared to the built-ins, but the upside is that it was discrete.  I had it mounted on one of the a/c vents (came with clips for that purpose as well as a number of other types of mounts.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

cadillacmike68

They can be very useful.

I could have saved lots of time lining up that boat trailer if the Fleetwood had one, but I sold the boat. 2nd happiest day in a boat owners life!

Boat:  Break Out Another Thousand.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike