News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 CADILLAC SERIES 62 CONVERTIBLE TOP FRAME

Started by maitairon, April 11, 2017, 09:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maitairon

HI   CAN ANYONE THAT HAS A 57 CONVERTIBLE PHOTOGRAPH THE CONVERTIBLE TOP FRAME. THE MORE PHOTOS OF THE FRAME AND BOWS WOULD BE A BIG HELP. PUTTING DOWN THE NEW TOP MADE SMALL CUTS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE TOP.   ANYTHING YOU COULD DO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
1962 Eldorado
1957 Cadillac series 62 conv.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

All caps is considered SHOUTING!! We can read regular print.
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

maitairon

Thanks Bob. I'm glad to know there is someone out there that has the time to correct everyone.  I am too busy to scan the internet to criticise our posts and messages. I am not a skilled computer genius so I do the best I can. If I do it again, please ignore my post and we will both be happy!
1962 Eldorado

maitairon

To all forum readers, I apologise if I upset you with my post using all capital letters. I rarely type and always forget to capitalize so all capitals makes it really easy. Thanks Ron
1962 Eldorado

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Ron, I know you must be sick at heart when this happened. Have you tried getting any kind of adjustment/refund from the person that installed the top? Back then, GM was still making thousands of convertibles and I know when I had my '57, I didn't give the raising/lowering of the top a second thought.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

maitairon

Hi Barry...the installer said he would redo the top, but we need to see another top frame, which has never been fooled with, to make sure the bows are on correctly. Thank you for your responce...Ron
1962 Eldorado

BillR. CLC # 29203

Ron,
I found this on Youtube.com which shows a '57 Convertible For Sale:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvwkZBjGxM4
Maybe it might be able to give you glances at some of the answers.
Good luck!
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

maitairon

Hi Bill and thank you for your help. I watched the video, but they never showed the inside of the top frame. If you see anything else, please let me know.   Ron
1962 Eldorado

BillR. CLC # 29203

Ron,
I was just looking at the Manual for my son's '59 Hardtop.
It shows several diagrams of the headliner, supports etc..
I wonder if the '57 Manual does the same for soft top?
Bill
CLC #29203
Bill Rodwick
CLC # 29203

Crew Member:  '59 Sedan Deville Six Window

Ed Eckhart #12747

I have taken 3 pictures of my 57 convertible top. I can't state for sure that it is original, but it does work nicely. Hopefully, these will help some.

Ed

maitairon

Hi Ed. Thank you so much for the pictures. We think it might be the rear bow. It appears where it is connected at the bottom, that it can bow forward or to the rear. Do you have a picture of the rear bow where it connects at the bottom? Thank you again.  Ron
1962 Eldorado

maitairon

Hi bill.  I have the Manuel and it shows, somewhat, how it goes,but there has to be a reason why it's pinching the top. It's the rear bow, I think. We are not sure though. Thanks for your help. Ron
1962 Eldorado

Ed Eckhart #12747

Ron,

Here are some more pics of the back from different angles. If your top is the same as mine, I do need to stop it about 2 feet from fully down and pull all the padding back towards the rear of the car, and also pull out the fabric as far as it will go and fold it over before fully lowering the top. Hope these pics help. If not, let me know.
Good luck,

Ed

Eldovette

Hi Ron,

i am sure, the problem is the rear bow. The same thing happend to me years ago when i did the installation of the top for my 1958 Biarritz. But i realized the fault before the bow makes the cut into the top. After searching in forums and compare with other 57, 58 convertibles i found out that the rear top bow was mounted wrong. There is a picture in the shop Manual for this, but i can say for sure this Picture is wrong. They pictured it with the curve in the wrong direction! After mounting the rear bow with hte curve in the oposite direction as shown in the shop manual it worked perfect!

Ludwig
Ludwig Medel
clc#27427
1957 Eldorado Biarritz
1958 Eldorado Biarritz
1958 Brougham
1961 Eldorado Biarritz
1958 Buick Caballero Estate Wagon
1964 Corvette

maitairon

Hi Ed.  Again, thank you so much for your help. I am going to take these and show them to the upholsterer in the next couple of days. Thanks again. Ron
1962 Eldorado

maitairon

Hi Ludwig.  Wow, that's what we have been coming up with. It seems this would be the only way it would slice the top as it has. We mounted mine as shown in the Manuel and you confirmed my thoughts. Thank you for giving me your feedback. It's been a great help.  Ron
1962 Eldorado

maitairon

Hi Ed. And thanks for all your pictures and help. I wondered if you might have a photo of the rear bow and where it attaches to the top frame. It has to do with where it attaches and if the bows curve goes toward the rear or front of the car. Any help would be greatly appreciated.   Ron
1962 Eldorado

Ed Eckhart #12747

I will try to get some pictures this weekend.

Ed

Ed Eckhart #12747

Ron,

Here are the best pictures I could get of the rearmost bow from both sides. Hope they help,

Ed

vegas49er

Hi, I will give you a few photo's of a 57 frame before tear down and at assembly. Hope it helps. F. Johnson