News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Controversial I Know, but......

Started by Jeff Wilk, April 11, 2017, 10:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Wilk

I know there is a lot of personal preference involved here but what do you all say the MOST reliable, MOST comfortable, MOST well equipped, MOST SPACIOUS, MOST classy looking, post 1980 Cadillac model out there to be used as a kind of daily driver is under $15,000???

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Chuck Patton

Hello Jeff

My vote is for the 2007 Cadillac DTS.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

Scot Minesinger

My vote is for the 1994, 1995, or 1996 RWD Cadillac Fleetwood.  Runs on regular, 24 mpg highway, seats six comfortably, gobs of power, and amazing looking car.  Drove a 1995 Fleetwood to 254k miles with no troubles, and only sold it because it was ten years old with high mileage.  To me they look better with no vinyl top.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

1981 Fleetwood Brougham

1990 - 1992 Brougham d'Elegance with 305 or 350

While we're at it, why not include 1977 - 1980 Fleetwood Brougham...

I've never been much of a fan of the 1993 - 1996 RWD Fleetwood but the 1994 - 1996 is by far the fastest of the bunch.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Greg Powers

My vote is for the 1994 - 1996 Fleetwood Brougham. Definitely spacious and very cost effective using regular gas and 134A  A/C refrigerant . Powerful 5.7 LT1 engine uses 5w30 motor oil (no high priced synthetic necessary) and averages a 24 mpg highway. The car also rides on 15 inch touring radials, no high priced performance tires. A real "Cadillac look" to the car, I do prefer the vinyl top, just a preference.  - Greg   (My 1994 Fleetwood Brougham)
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

cadman56

My vote is for the 1991 Brougham dElegance.  Mine has 198K on it.  Plenty of power and great gas mileage.  Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Gene Beaird

1995-1996 FWB.  After that, the second-Gen CTS-V, but that's just me. 
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

76eldo

Get an 06-07 DTS with super low mileage and with the few thousand left over take your wife somewhere nice.

I have one and I love it.  I have a great mechanic and he does a lot of Cadillac work and he swears by these and that's what he has as a daily driver.  Also spoke to a friend Saturday night who had a mint DTS and got bored and spent almost $40,000 on a beautiful XTS and said there's a lot of things that he liked better on the DTS.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 12, 2017, 08:37:21 AM
My vote is for the 1994, 1995, or 1996 RWD Cadillac Fleetwood.  Runs on regular, 24 mpg highway, seats six comfortably, gobs of power, and amazing looking car.  Drove a 1995 Fleetwood to 254k miles with no troubles, and only sold it because it was ten years old with high mileage.  To me they look better with no vinyl top.

I second and third this motion. All except for the padded roof.  That's what makes it stand out as a Brougham. 200,000 on my 1995 and 99,600 & counting on my 1996. 1993s are OK but they are underpowered copared to the 1994-96.

Some obvious and not so obvious changes:
1994 got the vastly improved LT1 engine with gear driven water pump, reverse cooling, etc.
1995 got platinum plugs.
1996 got 5 year life coolant (dexcool), DRLs, and OBDII.
Radio changes in a couple years including 1996.

The last gen DTS are ok too, but they are FWD (if it matters to you, maintenance costs...) and even with the NorthStar, a Fleetwood overpowers it.

That limo on fleabay is overpriced. Champagne colored seats?  ??? and those Brougham Chrome wheels were not rated for the commercial chassis. Looks cool though.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

WTL

How does it do at the boat ramp, with that overhang? 

Seems lots of people agree that the 95 Fleetwood is excellent.  Too bad it is an embarrassing grandpa boat and relic.   :o

cadillacmike68

Quote from: WTL on April 12, 2017, 08:52:19 PM
How does it do at the boat ramp, with that overhang? 

Seems lots of people agree that the 95 Fleetwood is excellent.  Too bad it is an embarrassing grandpa boat and relic.   :o

The tires got wet. The long overhang actually helps keep the car out of the seaweeds on the MacDill ramp. Remember these cars have level control, so the car does not sag even with 4 or 5 people in it plus the boat.

Grandpa boat / relic?  maybe to you. I do admit the digital dash is an abomination, but I can and did drive these cars all day & night at times without tiring. and the look is very pleasing to me, especially compared to the old battlestar galactic cylon face look of so many newer cars. Those things look like they want to bite your head off.

I also did the same thing in a miata and thought that I had vibrated apart at the end of the day.

Family resemblance??

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Scot Minesinger

WTL,

Grandpa boat and relic!  No way.  Don't think I have ever disagreed with anyone more on this forum than on that comment.

When I was 36 drove my 1995 Cadillac RWD Fleetwood, and sometimes people would say "Why are you driving this old person's car?"  I would floor it at the first chance I got and drove it extremely aggressively for a short period to show the passenger that this would eat their stupid Corrola alive on the track, highway or whatever road they chose.  You could drive it like a police car and it managed no problem.  Plus I removed the vinyl top on mine and to me it looked infinitely better and much more modern.  That roof line is extremely attractive without a vinyl top.  Mine started life as a factory triple black, and then it was black leather with black exterior.

It will blow any RWD Cadillac car that comfortably (emphasize comfortably here the CTS and STS are out) seats 5 (I could even write 6) in the weeds on the drag strip except the CT6.  I drove it past 100mph for an extended period and it was loafing.  I'm afraid my 1970 DVC would not stand up to this car in a race. 

The last thing I ever felt was embarrassed while driving this impressive Cadillac.  It made me feel great - wish they still made them!  Only non-car people criticized it and they were easy to sway my way if they rode in it.  Many other Cadillac owners even said to me "Your Cadillac makes mine look like s--t".  Plus I always got a great spot parking at airport in limo parking - ha!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

WTL

I thought I had the sarcasm emoticon going on my comment... sarcastically referencing how the current Cadillac will do anything to run away from the legacy of those big RWD cars.   Ahh the internet....

There was a mid 90s Deville on the way to work not long ago, stayed out there for a few months...wanted 3 grand for it, I was close to talking to my wife.  Probably I should have.

cadillacmike68

Scot,

Agreed, except the comment on the STS. Its bigger enough on the inside than the CTS to have noticeably more comfortable seating.

And it's fast.

Mine, in addition to being a platinum ed with a full leather hand cut interior has the RWD NorthStar V8 at 32oHP / 330 LbsFt, and it flies. I have it on very good authority that it easily exceeds 150mph.  ;)

And yes, the back end of the Fleetwood's vinyl roof with that rear C pillar trim line that doesn't really mate up with anything isn't the greatest, but that's what makes is a Brougham. The Fleetwoods are also very easy to work on.

And its a lot, less waxing.  :P
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 12, 2017, 10:10:21 PM
Grandpa boat and relic!  No way.  Don't think I have ever disagreed with anyone more on this forum than on that comment.

WTL may have been just being sarcastic but I actually don't think the "grandpa car" and "relic” references were too far off.  The average 1993-96 Fleetwood buyers were in their late sixties and in today's market, sedans of that size (especially length) are practically non-existent compared to decades past.   The tide may turn regarding large sedans but it's where things are right now.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on April 12, 2017, 11:56:46 PM
Agreed, except the comment on the STS. Its bigger enough on the inside than the CTS to have noticeably more comfortable seating.

The STS, while somewhat larger inside (and outside) than the current generation CTS, was still classified as midsize and probably not spacious enough for the "Brougham" crowd.   All of this is simply a matter of preference.

Walter Youshock

If you really want to get noticed, get a Cimarron....
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Huh?

"Cimarron
It is the Cheyenne word for "Wild"...Although, if it's a person's name, it means "Wild One"....it can also be used to describe someone that has a VERY free spirit & cannot & will not be tamed by anyone; Free-Spirited....Also, someone who's completely different from everyone else; beyond the norm intellectually, artistically, socially, and/or in mindset...A Cimarron can also be someone who moves from place to place freely and willingly, without being forced to do so, also considered a "Maverick"....also someone who fights back, mostly about what he/she believes in or thinks is right; sometimes considered a Fighter.
That girl is a total Cimarron. She's completely free in spirit!...NO ONE can tell her who to be or what to do!"

Is that what you meant by Cimmaron?

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2