News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

76 Eldorado timing chain replacement

Started by 7gen, April 13, 2017, 05:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7gen

Just did the timing set replacement on my vehicle. Car has 38K miles. I put about 5K on it since buying it in April, 2016.

Gears were as they came from the factory - no nylon missing. I used a Cloyes Street true roller, thanks to recommendations here.

Just thought I'd add a data point for the discussion about when these gears start slinging their bits. For my car, it had not yet begun. I don't know what to attribute that to except maybe just plain luck. Always said I'd rather be lucky than good!

chrisntam

Good to hear, one less thing to worry about.

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

I replaced a 1975 Cadillac timing chain on a 30k SDV (Lynn G.'s).  While the nylon gear looked good, the chain had really stretched, so I think it was worthwhile.  Also replaced the timing chain on a 37k 1970 SDV and the chain and nylon sprocket looked ok, it is still peace of mind.  Plus since I dropped the oil pan, and replaced rear main seals on both Cadillacs no longer leak oil.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

Happiness is finding the teeth intact.

Nothing worse than seeing them all naked.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

7gen

Scot's observation about the timing chain was also correct for my car - it was stretched a lot more than I would have suspected, given the mileage. It was a good move to get everything swapped out, so I'm glad I was alerted to the issue by this forum.

TJ Hopland

I had a 75 that had around 50K on it when I got it.  I had looked down the distributor hole and it appeared to be original and in good condition.   I started driving the car regularly and within a year the teeth were all gone.   Even under good conditions that plastic is just brittle at this age.  Maybe one that had been on the shelf would be ok but exposed to oil and the heat cycles in the engine just takes its toll. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

I have seen those timing sets in all states, from having the chain wearing into
the plastic, to cracked teeth, to some teeth missing, to the chain completely off. 
It certainly has caused me a lot of aggravation trying to get an engine to run
right.  And I am glad it isn't just me anymore pointing out the problem.  Bruce Roe