News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

valve cover gasket

Started by 62boat, April 13, 2017, 08:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

62boat

does anybody know if they make valve cover gaskets for a 62cdv 390 made from rubber and not cork? if so could you provide a name or place to find them. thanks
s.karatka

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I got mine from Napa.... 472 tho.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Caddy Wizard

Not aware of rubber gaskets.  But I have had good luck with "BEST" brand valve cover gaskets ("BEST" seems better than Fel-Pro, in my experience -- sorry for the pun, couldn't resist...)
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

Jon S

Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

grandads59

Have used them in the past, and the're great.  I'll be darn if I can find them.

Jon Hartwell 

SixDucks

I used cork FELPRO gaskets on my 390. My practice with stamped steel valve covers is to coat the gasket in a very thin film of RTV. Allow enough time to cure completely.  Then adhere the gasket to the valve cover with a few strategically placed dabs of RTV.
This allows for a gasket that never dries out, always maintains a good crush, and seals less than perfect mating surfaces. I have never had any residuals to clean off the cylinder head when removing the valve cover.  If you ever need to remove the gasket from the cover, you'll only need to contend with the SMALL dabs used to adhere the gasket.

Terry
Current:
1941 coupe
1962 Fleetwood
1988 Brougham
Previous:
1956 Series 62 Sedan
1963 Fleetwood
1975 Fleetwood Brougham D'Elegance
1989 Brougham