News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Procedure for repairing constant velocity U joints on 65 Cadillac

Started by jbrown, April 15, 2017, 10:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbrown

Is there anything available on Servicing constant velocity U joints on a 65 Cadillac, mine is making a popping noise on acceleration.
Maybe a service bulletin or recommend procedure.
Jim Brown
jbrownret@centurytel.net

dadscad

Motors 1964 and 1974 manuals have a procedure for servicing the CV joints. At that time, the earlier units had non replaceable balls in the centering  ball. Today you can get the early ball socket kit with the ball from Rockford Driveline, probably other suppliers. If the ball in your CV joint is worn and not replaceable, you will need to have the old ball turned down to a stud to accept the new replacement ball and socket kit. Be sure to use a high quality synthetic grease in the ball socket. There is a special grease for the ball socket application if your parts supplier can get it with the u-joint and socket kit.  I use a screw ram ball joint press to disassemble/reassemble  the CV joint instead of beating it up with a hammer. Much better control and feel of the parts mating back together.
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger

Also, have enjoyed very good luck with Cadillac King in CA buying good used.  They are costly, but so far they are batting 1,000 on used parts of this type for me.  Yes I know the shipping.  The best was I bought a rear diff from them for a 1967 RWD DVC and it was almost as good as new -worked great -shipping was not bad.  Had to buy a 1975 Drive shaft earlier this year (same as you would have only a 1965) and shipping was under $100.

I have a good used Fleetwood drive shaft from a 1965 Cadillac, but as I remember you have an Eldorado and this would be too long.

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty