News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2017 Escalade ESV Platinum Reviews

Started by lou-q, April 12, 2017, 08:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou-q

We were thinking of buying a new Escalade and after using the Cadillac web site to build it I started reading reviews and much to my surprise found many unhappy owners. Not one site rated it above 3.5 on a scale of 5 (Edmunds, Hemmings,etc.). Some people said the interior plastic rattled, others that the cooler did not work, the leather was fading in the first 1000 miles, no better than an overpriced Suburban and on and on.
Most said the ride and the quietness was good.
I don't want to spend 100 grand on something I'm going to regret.
We would like to hear from current 16 and 17 Escalade owners to see what your feelings are.
Thanks for your input,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

lou-q

No input yet.
Lincoln just released pictures and some specs on their 2018 Navigator.
It's going to be offered in two wheelbases.
We really wanted an Escalade but we are nervous about the bad reviews.
We have owned Ford F250s since 1969 and have been quite happy with them.
So maybe a Lincoln is in order.
Lou

Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

The Tassie Devil(le)

There should be some law to stop car makers from selling year models, as an actual year model until the 1st January of the model year.

Next thing we know will be that there won't be an actual 2018 or 2019 model as the sales are coming so close to the previous year start that advertising a car for the following year will be simply useless.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

jdemerson

I presume that the photos of the 2018 model are released now because it is being introduced at the current New York International Automobile Show. That model won't be on sale for several more months.

This is a Cadillac Forum. There are many Escalade owners who are happy with their big trucks. I don't think this Forum is the best place to get an objective comparison of the two leading truck-based luxury SUVs. You might want to check Consumer Reports for comparative information based on lots of data from owner reports. The Escalade does not get a positive rating there. Some will say that CR is biased, but I think not.  I note that they give a very positive review of the new CT6. Their only serious complaint on that model is the CUE system, but this is being revised and upgraded for 2018.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the new vehicle.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac 6219X Sedan
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 13, 2017, 10:09:32 PM
There should be some law to stop car makers from selling year models, as an actual year model until the 1st January of the model year.

That would sort of force manufacturers to only be able to introduce all-new/redesigned models in January.  What happens if there are production delays?   What if the car is ready to go to market in September?  Having to use calendar years could mean delays or rush intros for January, otherwise they could end up with two very different looking models (the old one that had been on sale and the new/replacement) identified by the same year.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on April 14, 2017, 08:36:37 AM
That would sort of force manufacturers to only be able to introduce all-new/redesigned models in January.  What happens if there are production delays?   
Production delays would have the same repercussions at any time.
QuoteWhat if the car is ready to go to market in September? 
Wouldn't be a problem as the first round of cars would last till December, and the extra months would allow for ironing out any bugs before real sale dates on the 1st January.
QuoteHaving to use calendar years could mean delays or rush intros for January, otherwise they could end up with two very different looking models (the old one that had been on sale and the new/replacement) identified by the same year.
Well, of course the new models would look different than the previous ones.   Just the same as it is now, but three months later.

In actual fact, my '72 Eldorado is actually a 1971, that looks like a 1972, because it was built in October 1971.

This is one reason I can get away with registering it here in Australia without having to meet the 1972 Australian Design Rules which would have had me changing things like rear Indicator Colour, and other stuff, even though one built in January 1972 would have had to have the modifications.

Imagine a court case involving a pedestrian being hit in November 1971 by a 1972 Car?   Legally, the car would have to be listed as a 1971 car, as 1972 hadn't come yet.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

wrefakis

deal with these all the time great truck to lease for 36k miles and return
not good for long term or high miles
4 year 50 max term keep under warranty

Scot Minesinger

Agree with wrefakis, unless you buy used for a fantastic low price, do not own without warranty.

The Cadillac Escalade is equipped with a major V-8.  The Lincoln Navigator is equipped with a V-6 and reading technical write up it did not appear to be able to be optioned with a V-8.  That is all I need to know, on a big truck like this it is a V-8 or nothing.  I know blah blah V-6 might be OK, but it is not as smooth as a V-8, towing?, it does not have as good of low end torque as a V-8 and frankly a v-6 reduces prestige.

The Cadillac Esclade has always run circles around the Lincoln with a much better engine. 

In fairness of comparison, they both are styled pleasingly and to me either would fine if decided on styling alone.  The 6.2 liter 400+ hp of the Cadillac V-8 makes this an easy choice though.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Only Escalade I had was a 2002 that we got in trade a couple years ago with over 200,000 mi on the clock.

Body was excellent and all paint was still original.

After driving it around awhile, I decided to retail it instead of wholesaling at auction.

Despite the mileage, it was no rattletrap by any stretch.

I can't imagine why a much newer (and lower mileage) Escalade would have so many rattles... ???

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 14, 2017, 09:22:55 AM
Production delays would have the same repercussions at any time. Wouldn't be a problem as the first round of cars would last till December, and the extra months would allow for ironing out any bugs before real sale dates on the 1st January.Well, of course the new models would look different than the previous ones.   Just the same as it is now, but three months later.

In actual fact, my '72 Eldorado is actually a 1971, that looks like a 1972, because it was built in October 1971.

This is one reason I can get away with registering it here in Australia without having to meet the 1972 Australian Design Rules which would have had me changing things like rear Indicator Colour, and other stuff, even though one built in January 1972 would have had to have the modifications.

Imagine a court case involving a pedestrian being hit in November 1971 by a 1972 Car?   Legally, the car would have to be listed as a 1971 car, as 1972 hadn't come yet.

It would/could change things if manufacturers had to use calendar years.  Let's say you have an all-new/redesigned model that was targeted to go on sale January 2017 but production delays or whatever meant it wouldn't be ready until May.  You still want to continue to produce the previous generation until the new one goes on sale but using a calendar year identifier means the old version cars produced in January 2017 would be labeled as 2017s plus the new redesigned models produced in May 2017 would ALSO be labeled as 2017s.  Either you'd have two different styles of the same model identified by the same "year" or would have to further delay an otherwise market ready new model many months until the following January so it can be distinguished by a different year.  With model years, you could get it to market in May 2017 and clearly distinguish it from the old version by labeling it a 2018 model.

Model years make it easier to identifying/track potential style changes as well as determine used values down the road so you don't have to get into issues like, is that "book" value or "auction" value for the old style 2017 Cadillac CTX or the new style 2017 Cadillac CTX?  With calendar years, identifying it as a 2017 Cadillac CTX alone wouldn't be enough.  Sure, you could tweak the model name of the new model by calling it something like "CTX II" but model years to me are still the better way to go.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Gentlemen...  the OP is interested in 2017 Escalade reviews/experiences.

Let's try to remain on topic.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Greg Powers

Thanks Eric. I think the only way to get an honest opinion about any vehicle is to talk to people who own them or see if you can talk to a mechanic that works on the vehicle, but not at the place of business. Unfortunately people who write reviews of most anything on-line are generally the "unhappy " folks. Fit and finish and electrical issues seem to be the most common issues with all new vehicles. - Greg
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!

Chris Conklin

Here's a link to another Cadillac forum that is geared to owners of newer models. I think it's harder to navigate and search, but you may find some results there.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/forum.php

This is no help in your query, but I've owned an '09 Escalade Hybrid since 2012 and it currently has about 94K miles on it. It's our primary driver but I don't really put a lot of miles on it yearly (I'm one of the few rail commuters in Los Angeles). Very trouble free, great vehicle, no complaints.
Chris Conklin

Richard Sills - CLC #936

I have two Escalades -- a 2000 with 97,000 miles (I have owned it since March 2000), and a 2007 with 67,000 miles.  Both are wonderful vehicles.  They are very comfortable, with plenty of power (especially the 2007 with 403 hp. V-8), and no work has been needed except normal maintenance.   

In essence, they perform the same function that a Fleetwood would have performed 50 years ago -- lots of room for you and your guests, lots of space for luggage and cargo, all the amenities, and great highway cars.  I realize this doesn't answer the question about a 2017 model, but a friend owns a 2017 ESV Platinum, and he is delighted with it.

tturley

I have a 2011 platinum edition with 50k miles and absolutely love it. When I sold my company I let my truck go with it so we needed another car. I bought a new Buick Enclave for my wife and told her I would take her old Escalade and she agreed.
A month later she came to me and said " I want my Escalade back"
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

dochawk

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on April 14, 2017, 10:28:56 AM

Let's try to remain on topic.

"Topics?  We don't need no steenkin topics"

--From The Treasure of Eldorado
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)