News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1957 (Model 62): HEI distributor install?

Started by Brent57, April 18, 2017, 07:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent57

Hello:   I am considering an HEI distributor swap out of the original in my '57 Model 62 (standard factory 365), but the models I find are clockwise models, such as for chevys.  Does anyone know of worthy counterclockwise HEI options, or other non-HEI options for distributors that might be an upgrade to the original in terms of reliability?  I have seen some designed for pontiacs, but can't find much in the way of reviews, etc.:

https://www.carid.com/fast/counter-clockwise-rotation-distributor-internal-hei-coil-mpn-730-0191.html

http://www.classicindustries.com/shop/firebird/parts/ignition-system/performance-ignition/?p=8

Many thanks in advance for any recommendations,
Brent

35-709

Might be easier to put a Pertronix in it.  I would go with the Pertronix ll, but the Pertronix I should work fine also in an otherwise stock setup.  There is a vendor that sells Pertronix who advertises in the Self-Starter.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

TJ Hopland

I don't know anything about that specific engine but usually there is more to worry about other than direction of rotation.   Pontiac I think was one that never changed their distributor in their V8's so you could put an 81 in a 55.  If those would interchange with Cads it would be an easy upgrade.

What is your current issue or reason for changing?  There are several options these days that use the points to drive electronics so wear is no longer an issue and you can install it with connectors or switches so if the electronics fail you are back to points.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TonyZappone #2624

Go to Pertonix with distributor #.  They will provide the proper Pertonix for that car.  Pertonix has worked beautifully in my '47 and 58 for about 15 years.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle

Brent57

Thanks very much to all for the input.  I will definitely look into the Pertronix.

Best,
Brent

INTMD8

I'm curious what problem you're having?

I've been using the stock points on my 59 for years with no issues.

Brent57

INTMD8:  The swap out of the distributor is more of a personal preference to have a greater probability of a set-it-and-go outcome relative to the original set up, with less frequent adjustment needed (for me that is).  My primary goal is to have a daily driver while keeping the original engine, with only (with what I consider to be) slight modification for operability.

Walter Youshock

If you're looking for a maintenance free daily driver, a '57 Cadillac is not the right car...

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

It takes longer to grease all the fittings in the front end than it does to set the dwell at each oil change. If you get stuck on the side of the road with bad points you can change them with a flathead screwdriver and a piece of a cigarette box. That is not the case if you drop an aftermarket HEI distributor in. It's a tow home and get on the interwebs, order parts, and wait for them to come in. You can get points and condenser at just about any parts store and take zero space in the glove box.

Your money would be best used in the gas tank than on an HEI system.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

bcroe

I don't know if you can find an HEI for a 57 engine.  The HEI will start better, be
less sensitive to water, and require far less maintenance; some run the plugs
with them 100,000 miles.  If you pushed points as hard as I did back then, the
performance difference would soon be evident.  Those of us who know how to
fix an HEI, know that about all that is likely to fail is the module, which is even
easier to replace than points & condenser which must be retimed. 

Given the cars on the road, its a lot easier to find HEI parts than points parts. 
The best backup for a Petronix might be the original points, I actually carry the
special HEI base for my 79 EFI Eldo, along with an extra ECU.  I have had
problems with points long unused, building up a non conducting oxide coating. 
Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

You really can not just go ask for a set of points anymore and get a good set.   A majority of what is out there today is crap.   You have to search for NOS and hope they were stored under optimum conditions or seek out the few remaining brands that so far seem to still be good quality.    Sadly many of the old dependable names are little more than a name anymore.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Brent57

Well, the HEI dist has arrived.  I'll report back on performance after some road time in case useful to anyone.

Attn Walter Youshock:  Oh, if anything in life were maintenance free :)  Seriously, regarding your negative comment on '57's, I see you have a 57 CDV.  Have you found it fundamentally flawed in some way that makes you down on '57s?  I had a '56 62 for years and had very good luck in terms of maintenance and the '57 doesn't seem light years removed in terms of mechanics etc.  Curious what you might have learned about your '57.  Thanks in advance, Brent

bcroe

Please do report your HEI results.  Remember that though an HEI uses less energy than
ballasted points, that energy is drawn in big lumps, so your ballast resistor must be
shorted.  Do they recommend a larger plug gap? 

I drove a lot of miles in 60s cars, and they taught me a lot about maintenance.  Now
I drive a 77, mostly just drive it.  It will do ANYTHING better than the 60s version. 
Bruce Roe

fishnjim

List the HEI part number please as one never knows when they might have to replace.   I've been wanting to check mine and/or recurve it but no machine and to much $ to buy one for one dist.
I'm running the Pertronix 3 with their highperf coil on the '58.   

bcroe

Quote from: fishnjimI've been wanting to check mine and/or recurve it but no
machine and to much $ to buy one for one dist. 

You can measure the mechanical advance in your engine.  Just disconnect the
vacuum and use your timing marks.  The distributor might need to be temporarily
twisted a bit to keep the engine running.  Just rev it and compare the advance to
the rpm on your tach.  If you are off the timing scale, make a temporary mark
for the measurements. 

Vacuum is the same deal, if you can disable the mechanical advance.  Actually if
you know the mechanical details, you can probably measure it without running
the engine.  With your hand pump and gauge, vac advance starts at one point
and finishes at another, will probably be a straight line between.  Bruce Roe

Walter Youshock

I've had mine 24 years this week.  It would take another 24 years to tell you how "trouble free" it's been. 

Good luck with yours...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham