News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Filler panels on 78 Eldo

Started by manxie, April 21, 2017, 03:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxie

My car has had new filler panels fitted at some point. The front ones are spot on. The rear ones fit the body lines lovely but where they go around the rear bumper / tail light surrounds, the fitment is shocking  :o especially the rear drivers side. There must be a good 1/2" gap on the outside edge, but tight on the inner edge? The passenger side rear seem to fit a lot better with only a 1/4" gap all round. Is this normal or can any adjustments be made to the bumper to make a better fit? Thanks, Steve.
78 Eldorado Biarritz Custom Classic

D.Smith

Yes they are adjustable.   Sounds like whoever installed them Either did the rear ones first and got better with fiddling with them as he did more and never went back to refit them, or he was so tired after fitting the front ones he just got lazy and didn't fit the rear ones right.   They take a lot of adjusting and often trimming too.    You can probably loosen them up and fit them better with some persistence.

manxie

Thanks for your reply. This is the infill panel itself you are talking about? Sadly, I wont be able to take them off again (until they break) as whoever did it, "corked" the joint and painted them to the car. This means if I take them off, the paint on the car would get damaged  :( Is the chrome housing on the rear bumper surrounding the rear light adjustable? If this was moved over 1/2" it would look so much better. Thanks again, Steve.

76eldo

Post some pictures so we can see what you are describing and try to help.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

manxie

This is the only picture I have at the moment, it`s not very clear to see but its the drivers side I`m looking at. The gap you see at the top gets slightly bigger as it goes down the left hand side (not visible in picture).

Gene Beaird

That fit is probably within range of the OEM fit. That really doesn't look that bad in that one picture.

Can you mave the bumper/tail light assemblies around some to center them better?
Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

76eldo

They don't look that bad.  There is a little adjustment on the bumper ends.  The rear upright fillers are bolted on from inside of the trunk.  When I install these I oversize the holes in the fillers so that I have a lot of adjustment in the final fit as I am tightening them up. I realize that you don't have that option now because they were painted while on the car and the paint line between the filler and the quarter will crack if you try to move them.

The plastic chrome trim is missing.  You can do a decent job with door edge molding that comes on a roll at most auto part stores.

The real GM parts will run you over $500.00 if you could find them on ebay.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

manxie

Ouch!!! $500 for the trim  :o I have already bought some chrome edging on a roll for this job, hoping to fill the gap on the left a bit. It will help but wont get it the way I`d like. I`ll try to adjust the bumper end over to the left a little? Thank you all for your help. Steve.