News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cleaning car covers?

Started by TJ Hopland, April 23, 2017, 10:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

How do you all clean your car covers?    Mine is an indoor cover I use over the winters.    Last few winters the car has lived in a barn with lots of dust and flaking paint as well as birds so it really needs a good cleaning.     I think I remember the instructions saying it was machine washable.   I question if it would fit in a typical home washer and then assume the wife would prefer to see maybe a pre wash before it went in.

Would like to hear how and where you wash yours.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

walt chomosh #23510

TJ,
  One method recommended by the cover companies is to just wash it on the car. Generally,I will go to the laundry and use an over sized washing machine. I suggest you contact the particular company where you bought their cover of their method of cleaning....walt...tulsa,ok

David Greenburg

It definitely varies depending on the type of cover. I have heard about washing on the car, but would check further on that before doing it to an indoor cover.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

31caddy

This is just one of the reasons that I use these in my garage:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PACK-16-X-24-5-LARGE-CLEAR-PLASTIC-UNIVERSAL-TEMPORARY-REUSEABLE-CAR-COVER-/331460710601?hash=item4d2c9910c9:m:mrWlWFe_bird4Hlm935DsOg&vxp=mtr

They are like a giant ladies shower cap ( the shower cap, not the lady) with elastic around the edge. After awhile, I just throw it away. The heavy regular type covers always get full of dust even under ideal storage conditions and wind up scratching your paint. These are handy for use at car shows as well, when an unexpected rain shower appears, as they take up very little room in the original package - about the size of a decorative throw cushion on a sofa.
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR

7gen

I have a California Car Cover, Plushweave. The cleaning instructions for all the different fabrics they use in making their covers are at http://www.calcarcover.com/m_covercare

You might could figure out which fabric is close to whatever cover you have and go by the cleaning instructions from that site.

Note that the instructions there indicate "no center agitator" if machine washing.