News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tensioning belts, and a six blade fan

Started by dochawk, April 22, 2017, 07:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dochawk

Having replaced my water pump, I'm reassembling.

The shop manual tells me the appropriate tensions.   Do I need a $100 tool to do this??? (not that I'm against acquiring tools; why am I even asking? :evil )

Does it matter which order I tension them in?

The shop manual also says that the fan has seven blades.  Mine has six.

I presume I should replace it, but I don't see such a thing on the rockauto site.

Can I pull this from any large GM of the period?  What range of years to fit a '72?

thanks
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

dochawk

I got the fan on the fan clutch, started on a second screw to the pully--and discovered I couldn't get the belts over :(

So I took it back off, ran the last two belts, got one screw back in--and then bending over like that and trying to insert screws caught up with me.

*sigh*

maybe tomorrow.

1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

TJ Hopland

I don't think a clutch fan was standard in a 72.   The original fans can be hard to find because in that era most GM's were either smaller non AC cars so small fans or had clutches.   I would not bother with a aftermarket 'flex' fan because they don't tend to move enough air for various reasons.    If its a decent fan with a good clutch that fits the shroud properly it may be fine.   The clutches didn't tend to be very unique in the era so finding a replacement should not be that difficult.  I think around 75 a clutch fan was at least a option so you could look it up that way.    On a cold start you should hear a pretty good roar out of the fan.   Unless its below freezing it should tapper down to the point you don't really hear it after about 10 seconds at the most.   The other quick check is after the engine is fully up to temp after a drive get parked pop the hood and position yourself so you can see the fan and then shut the key off.   The fan should not really coast.   It should darn near stop when the engine does.  IF it goes another 1/4 turn that is fine but if it does a full turn or more its shot.  IF you have it out a sign of a bad clutch is a dirty spot near the thermal spring in the center.   That means fluid leaked out and dirt stuck to the fluid. 

On the belts most of the belts these days are a lot more stretchy than the originals were so all the old rules don't seem to apply.   I find with modern belts I have to re tension them 2 or 3 times early in their lives.   Unless you have a giant pry bar and really lean on it I don't think you can over tension modern belts.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dochawk

The shop manual shows a spacer,not a fan clutch.  Rockauto lists the fan clutch under the model, though.

I really don't need to worry about driving below freezing around here . . . even when it freezes, it almost always thaws before normal working hours.

So I'll guess that the clutch fan came from the same vehicle as the car . . .

Is there any trick to getting the last three bolts into the fan pulley?  I keep dropping them.

thanks

hawk

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: dochawk on April 23, 2017, 11:20:32 AM
The shop manual shows a spacer,not a fan clutch.  Rockauto lists the fan clutch under the model, though.
Definitely a spacer on my '72, and Rockauto lists lots of things, like a heavy duty radiator, which doesn't fit.   Yes, I purchased one, and no way will it fit.   They replaced it with a normal one at no cost.
QuoteIs there any trick to getting the last three bolts into the fan pulley?  I keep dropping them.
Yes.   Align the pulley holes to the water pump flange, then hold the fan vertically, and install all the bolts into it, and through the spacer.   Then hold it in position, slightly away from the pulley/water pump hub, and with the free hand, turn the bolts in a couple of turns, till all are threaded, then wind them in all the way, then tighten.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Bolts in the water pump?   They are usually studs.   Parts stores usually stock the stud kits under the Help! line or under their own brand.  They are pretty universal so usually in stock.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Richard,
I built the tool they show in the FSM and although it works once you have it bolted on it is a real pain to do so.  Almost impossible to get the bolts the tool and your fingers behind the PS pulley.  What I found real simple is using and extended pry bar (30") and pry on the PS pump bracket casting and the bolt that holds it to the cylinder head.  If you take your time and pry "gently" iit is a bullet proof solution.
FWIW my 72 Eldo had HD cooling and came with a 7 bladed, direct drive (no clutch) fan blade.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: "Cadillac Kid"  Greg Surfas 15364 on April 24, 2017, 01:27:24 PM
FWIW my 72 Eldo had HD cooling and came with a 7 bladed, direct drive (no clutch) fan blade.
Greg Surfas
The Heavy Duty Radiator I purchased would not fit in the radiator mounting area.

To fit it, I would have had to re-design the sides of the carrier, by removing serious metal, and repainting.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon