News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Question for '70 owners - Dash bezel question

Started by chrisntam, April 25, 2017, 09:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisntam

Hello Gentlemen,

I'm in the process of getting the factory radio put back in, a prior owner cut the original (to the car) bezel to fit the aftermarket radio. I have a replacement bezel that I am "cleaning up" in preparation for the install.

The chromed plastic edges are worn away, I've gone over those areas with a silver marker, which came out rather nicely, I believe.  The original was chrome (it appears), I can only find silver, which is ok for me.

My question has to do with the circled area (3rd picture).  On the replacement bezel, there was no silver there, no remnants, no nothing.  On my original (to the car) bezel, the area was chromed.  See the pics?

Is this area on yours blacked out or trimed in chrome?

First pic is the original in the car.
Second pic is the replacement bezel (bought from a parts car) with most of the chrome gone over.
Third pic is the area in question.

Other picture is from a local car show I attended with other Cadillacs.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

jagbuxx #12944

Chrisntam, area is blacked out with chrome outline on raised outlines....
(Photos show after/before sting wheel resto)
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

Scot Minesinger

chrome it up.

I use the silver marker on all three of mine.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

The Tassie Devil(le)

When I did a RHD conversion on a '69, I used silver paint.

Didn't come out too bad.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

chrisntam

Thanks for the replies, I'll get the pen back out.

Bruce, where do you find parts for the RHD conversion?  I assume Cadillac made cars for RHD countries?  The picture shows some items are a mirror image of a LHD car but not all items.   On RHD cars, is it correct to have all items (gear shift, gas pedal, etc.) placed in the mirror image location?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

76eldo

Mine is outlined.

See pic below.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: chrisntam on April 26, 2017, 05:12:32 AM
Bruce, where do you find parts for the RHD conversion?  I assume Cadillac made cars for RHD countries?  The picture shows some items are a mirror image of a LHD car but not all items.   On RHD cars, is it correct to have all items (gear shift, gas pedal, etc.) placed in the mirror image location?
Some things like steering column parts stay the same, but everything else changes.

I have pictured the back of the dash panel (not finished) and if you look closely, you will see the AC control panel has been substantially trimmed down to fit.   Many many cuts and repositioning of the dash components meant that it was pretty ugly back there.   The radio required a lot of alteration as well.   The heat sink used to sit on the right side of the case, and had to be repositioned to the back to clear the steering column, and the top and front of the case had to be modified to clear the area directly above it.

Basically, Cadillac stopped producing RHD vehicles in 1942, and thus, everything up until recently has had to be converted to be driven in RHD countries.   Now, here in Australia, LHD vehicles can be driven if they are over 30 years old.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

chrisntam

Did you re-configure the dash bezel into a RHD configuration?
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Chas

Owner of a 40,000 mile original car......second what everyone else says.....black background, raised outline is chromed.
1967 Coupe DeVille
1970 Coupe DeVille
1976 Coupe DeVille
1983 Coupe DeVille
1977 Harley Cafe Racer
1991 Harley Fat Boy
1957 Harley Hardtail
1949 Lusse Bumper Car
If you're 25 years old and not a liberal, you have no heart. If you're 45 years old and not a conservative, you have no money!

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: chrisntam on April 26, 2017, 09:24:15 AM
Did you re-configure the dash bezel into a RHD configuration? 
Not sure what you mean.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

chrisntam

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 26, 2017, 07:50:35 PM
Not sure what you mean.

On your dash bezel, the radio slot is on the left.  On my dash bezel, the radio slot is on the right.  You do that?  Your bezel and my (all americans) bezel are different.  How'd it get that way? 
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

The Tassie Devil(le)

Ah ha, I see what you mean.

When doing RHD conversions, some operations have to be reversed, so that :
(1)   The passengers can access what they could access on the opposite side.
(2)   The driver has to be able to operate stuff without the passenger getting to it.

So, the Radio is moved to the left, the head light and wiper switches and the AC controls to the right, as well as the ventilation outlets.

But, the Steering Column levers, as is the foot pedals, are left in the positions, but to the opposite side of the car.   The foot-operated Parking Brake has to be moved to the right side kick panel.

At least in RHD form, the keys can be reached by a Law Enforcement Officer when the window is down when it is on the Steering Column.

As for the dash panel itself, I had to get another one from USA and convert it completely, which necessitated it being cut up into many many parts, and rejoined to resemble what I ended up with.

Even though this vehicle could have been driven in LHD form at the time I did the job, It was already RHD, having been imported when it was new, but it had fallen to pieces when the car was being repainted and reupholstered.   I only got the job because nobody else would do it, and someone dobbed me into the bodyworks as a possible fixed.

Turned out I ended up totally rebuilding the car, everything but the paint, engine, trans, and diff.   And I have the pictures to prove it.   It shouldn't have been started, but, that in itself is another story, but telling it would tread on a few toes.

If anyone wants to see the pictures, and a bit of the story, please PM or email me.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe