News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Question for 1955 6237DX authenticity freaks.........

Started by 5390john, April 25, 2017, 10:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5390john

See attached photo of my 1955 6237DX ("Marilyn") taken on the day 5 1/2 years ago when she was pulled out of the barn. Zoom in the the spare tire support rod to the right of the spare. The attachment point of the rod is painted red, same color as the hold down spring that is close by. I am positive that the trunk of this car, at this point in time, is as the factory made it.

Would like to have a second opinion - is the red color of the attachment point of the spare tire rod correct?
Thx in advance
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Caddy Wizard

Here is the attachment point from a 54 S62 sedan.  I don't think the attachment point in this photo has been restored or repainted (obviously, the trunk carpet is non-original).
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

dino

Attachment point on my 54 coupe deVille.. 37K untouched original car..  Attachment point is body color..  Note spare tire well still has the original card board liner..
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

5390john

Dino:
Thx for your post, I have never seen or even heard of a cardboard liner for the spare tire well. Your car is a '54, was that standard in '54? On all models? How about '55 De Villes? Is the liner glued in? Can you pull it out and take photos?
Can anyone else out there in Caddy cyber space add any input?
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Caddy Wizard

i've had lots of 54-56 Cads.  Never seen or even heard of the liner for the spare tire well...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

dino

The reason I posted the picture of the spare tire well liner is to try and get the answers to the same questions you are asking.
I don't know if a liner was a stock item on all new cars in 54.
I have never seen this before seeing it on this car...  Can anyone shed any light on this subject ?
I am not going to disturb it by trying to pull it out..

While we are talking about things not seen before. I also have a 56 series 62 convertible.  The jack is mounted behind the spare tire as it should be, but the jack is stored inside a black canvas pouch.. The pouch looks original.
Has anyone ever seen such a thing on a 56 Caddy ?
Original 55K mile car.. Known history.. Can't see any past owner ever having it made for the car..
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

dino

Quote from: Art Gardner  CLC 23021 on April 27, 2017, 12:33:05 PM
i've had lots of 54-56 Cads.  Never seen or even heard of the liner for the spare tire well...

Not sure how to respond to this quote.
Here are a few more shots of the trunk..  Never been touched... Maybe not many of these liners survived...
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

Caddy Wizard

Hey, Dino, I am not questioning the authenticity of your spare well liner.  I just have never seen one.  I am pretty familiar with these cars, but obviously, I don't know everything.  Lots of folks know more about authenticity of the 54-56 cars than me.  So I don't mean to imply that your liner is not an original feature and if I gave the opposite impression, my apologies!  BTW, your car is a jewel.

I really like 54-56 Cads!  Here are some of my favorites that I have had...(the next to last photo was of us wrapping up a paint job on the 54 CDV and then I traded it for the Pecos Beige 56 FW).

The last photo is of my daily driver from 1988 to about 2000...
Art Gardner

5390john

Looks like I've found a subject for a treasure hunt.....
Dino -- I really like the liner and I think it adds a nice finished look to the trunk. I would add one to my car just to make it look better. Maybe the liner you have is an aftermarket part from the distant past that has been forgotten. Again, just to confirm and be double dog sure, as far as you know the liner in your car is original? BTW, very nice car, I'm impressed!!!
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Last weekend, there was a 100% untouched original '56 Coupe deVille with extremely low mileage at the annual Northern NJ CLC spring show. I can attest the trunk liner of that car is identical to that shown in the beige car above. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Caddy Wizard

Thanks Virgil!  Very cool.  We learned something today, it seems...
Art Gardner

5390john

Any photos? Any idea who the owner was and if the owner has photos?
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Art Gardner  CLC 23021 on April 27, 2017, 12:33:05 PM

I have to agree - that's a "first" for me and I've seen quite a few original cars in
25 years of judging.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Lexi

First for me as well, and I have owned several '56s. Never heard of that jack canvas either. Clay/Lexi

Roger Zimmermann

When I bought my '56 de Ville in 1981 or 1982 (don't remember), the trunk material was the original one, very dirty. There was no liner in the spare tire well, but I cannot say if it was once removed in the years before.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

dino

Black canvas pouch.  Finally got a chance to take a few pictures of black canvas pouch mentioned above. Pouch contains jack, hook and tire iron.
Has anyone ever seen one of these before.  Can anyone shed any light on whether or not this was standard on all new cars in 1956?
Zipper was a little rusty but with the help of some WD-40 I was able to get it open.
Cloth trunk liner material and top were replaced by previous owner. Original liner was "dirty".. No thought given to originality...
D.Martini
1954 6237DX  CDV
1956 6267X  CCP

1960 6267X  CCP

5390john

I may have found an answer on the spare tire well liner question. I contacted REM Automotive, a supplier of reproduction parts to companies like OPGI, to see if they had this part. They sent me part of a kit that was for earlier Cadillac's, see photo. They appear to be die cut tar paper.  I am going to see if it fits in the spare tire well of my '55, will post again with the results and a photo.
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

5390john

Later today.............
See photo of the spare tire liner trial fitted in the spare tire well of my '55 6237DX. It seems to fit pretty well but there is no included method of attaching the liner to the well. I'm initially thinking something like carpet tape around the edges. I would not want an adhesive that isn't relatively easily removed, 'cuz after all, the liner is tar paper.
The interior of my car is being installed now, the trunk fabric will probably start being installed in a week or two. By that time I hope to have and idea of how to adhere the liner.
It looks to me that installing the liner could make the trunk look significantly better, even thought I doubt that it was on the cars new from the factory. If anybody out there has any verifiable info on that point please don't keep it secret!
Look forward to responses........
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"