News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Final inspection in 1958

Started by Bill Balkie 24172, April 28, 2017, 09:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Balkie 24172

What a great picture , notice how all the bumpers are covered front and back . Looks like the guy found a problem near the front tire .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

Walter Youshock

Looks like he's touching up the cowl area.  The bumpers were probably covered in case the cars bumped together on the line.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

Looks like on the bench they had a gun all ready to go with each colour.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Walter Youshock

Not only at that station but also at the hood/fender area where those were painted at Clark.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

fishnjim

Or is that a paint oven there headed into?

What's the odds, the black coupe 3 cars up is the one I own today?   Somewhere shy of 1:58000?   Not sure how many black ones out of the total.   If could date the picture, one could check against the build sheet numbers.

Roger Zimmermann

Nice pictures! I have the impression that the second picture was "arranged": if that man would spray some paint in that position, the windshield would be painted too as it's not protected.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

cadillac ken

I always am a little bit sad and mostly overwhelmed when I see the cars that I have or have wanted through the years rolling off of the line like what is shown here.

Overwhelmed by the thought of what it would it have been like to see one of these beauties, BRAND NEW! --  and a little sad that I never did.  Restoration is one thing but what I wouldn't give to have been able to walk into a showroom in 1958 and marvel at the chrome, paint, leather, all untouched and smelling brand new!

Jon S

Quote from: cadillac ken on April 30, 2017, 02:16:58 PM
I always am a little bit sad and mostly overwhelmed when I see the cars that I have or have wanted through the years rolling off of the line like what is shown here.

Overwhelmed by the thought of what it would it have been like to see one of these beauties, BRAND NEW! --  and a little sad that I never did.  Restoration is one thing but what I wouldn't give to have been able to walk into a showroom in 1958 and marvel at the chrome, paint, leather, all untouched and smelling brand new!

Was there at age 12 when my dad bought his first Cadillac in 1958 and still have the car today as purchased.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

cadillac ken

Too cool,  lucky you.  Do you remember the experience?  Or was it just a new car purchase to you at 12. 

We recently re-did a 1967 Corvette for the original owner.  I'm jealous of guys like you and him. 

Almost as good is a gentleman that has a 1932 Ford Roadster he has owned for over 60 years!  Yep, he's in his 80's and the car is beautiful.

Jon S

Quote from: cadillac ken on April 30, 2017, 08:09:45 PM
Too cool,  lucky you.  Do you remember the experience?  Or was it just a new car purchase to you at 12. 

We recently re-did a 1967 Corvette for the original owner.  I'm jealous of guys like you and him. 

Almost as good is a gentleman that has a 1932 Ford Roadster he has owned for over 60 years!  Yep, he's in his 80's and the car is beautiful.

Yes remember the day it was brought home. Dad was torn between the '58 Cadillac and '58 Imperial. Pictures of me at 12 examining the new car and present day pictures:

Just added one more picture. We found where the gas tank filler is:
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

cadillac ken

great.  thanks for the pics!

m-mman

Interesting that all the windows are down . . . . ?
Other assembly line photos (including other makes and years) have the windows UP.  There is a lot of dust in an assembly plant and why would you risk having any of it blow inside a new car?

Again, might be evidence of a staged photo session.
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634