News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Exhaust manifold paint

Started by arton4wheels, April 29, 2017, 06:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arton4wheels

For the exhaust manifolds I know to go with cast gray.  However, I don't want to trust such a hard job to any paint.  I have read enough negativity about the quickie exhaust paints from VHT and the like you would just grab off any auto parts store shelf.  No, this is the job of a specialized product if you want it to last, which I certainly do.  There is POR15, Hirsch, and Seymour paints that I am looking into.  I am going for the factory look, so I wont be going the route of ceramic coatings.  After all, they didn't have that in 1950.

I would like to hear your experiences with what products you have used folks.  Not just how it looked when done, but also how it held up with heat and time.  I do like how the CLC Cadillac museum and research center at the Gilmore museum did the 331 in their display.  I am all ears about it.
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

I prefer email over PM  arton4wheels@yahoo.com

bcroe

I don't think there is a coating that will last a lifetime on exhaust manifolds
(used on a regular basis).  Stainless headers will last, not very stock.  There
is a lot of stainless under my cars.  Bruce Roe

arton4wheels

Quote from: bcroe on April 29, 2017, 07:18:16 PM
I don't think there is a coating that will last a lifetime on exhaust manifolds
(used on a regular basis).  Stainless headers will last, not very stock.  There
is a lot of stainless under my cars.  Bruce Roe

Yeah, I know it wont last forever.  I know ceramic is great but I wouldn't want that unless I could have it done to look stock.  Plus expense is not cost effective IMHO.
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

Glen

I wish I could remember what I put on the exhaust manifolds on my 68 ELDO.  It is a gray metallic and has not burned off in about 100,000 miles.  The paint does not set up until you run the car.  The heat sets it.    I’ll look to see if I still have a part of a can around.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jason Edge

I used the Bill Hirsch Cast Iron Gray on my 64 429 rebuild 5 years ago. About 4K miles later it is still holding up well. You can see it on my Engine Paint Tips article link at www.enginepaintingtips.6364cadillac.com. In the article, on 3rd page, you will note I cured Hi Temp Primer, then the Exhaust Paint at 250, 350, and 450 degrees for 30 minutes. Worked well for me.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Scot Minesinger

I used the Eastwood manifold paint.  It is available in the cast gray.  After about 10k miles of some hot running use, it still looks great, has not burned off.  Get the quart can (a lifetime supply) and brush it on, that way it will be nice and thick, and since it is a rough surface - no brush marks will be visible.  The spray is thinner applications.  The heat does set it too.  All these paints suggested are probably all similar.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on April 30, 2017, 08:26:46 AM
I used the Eastwood manifold paint.  It is available in the cast gray.  After about 10k miles of some hot running use, it still looks great, has not burned off.  Get the quart can (a lifetime supply) and brush it on, that way it will be nice and thick, and since it is a rough surface - no brush marks will be visible.  The spray is thinner applications.  The heat does set it too.  All these paints suggested are probably all similar.

+1 on the Eastwood paint.  I have it on my '55 and it looks great even after 10 years.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

arton4wheels

Quote from: Glen on April 30, 2017, 03:13:03 AM
I wish I could remember what I put on the exhaust manifolds on my 68 ELDO.  It is a gray metallic and has not burned off in about 100,000 miles.  The paint does not set up until you run the car.  The heat sets it.    I’ll look to see if I still have a part of a can around.

100K miles and it STILL looks good??  Yes please find out that supplier!
Quote from: Jason Edge on April 30, 2017, 05:41:42 AM

I used the Bill Hirsch Cast Iron Gray on my 64 429 rebuild 5 years ago. About 4K miles later it is still holding up well. You can see it on my Engine Paint Tips article link at www.enginepaintingtips.6364cadillac.com. In the article, on 3rd page, you will note I cured Hi Temp Primer, then the Exhaust Paint at 250, 350, and 450 degrees for 30 minutes. Worked well for me.

Yes I know I recently saved the article!  How has it held up with use though and how much use?
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

oldcarguy

Yep, used Eastwood on my '55, 56, 59 Chevys and it looks good and last for a long time. As with anything else, the better the prep, the longer it lasts and the better it looks!

Now, I just got my '41 back from the shop after an engine rebuild and a bunch of other stuff and the exhaust manifolds need help. I'm not going the high dollar original route, so, how is the Hirsch high temp coating? I suppose the black would look best, your opinions, thoughts would be appreciated...
Thanks

Don Ford
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

Jay Friedman

Nice looking early '49 motor.  What car will it be installed in?
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

arton4wheels

Quote from: Jay Friedman on May 01, 2017, 10:18:36 AM
Nice looking early '49 motor.  What car will it be installed in?

That engine is the one displayed in the Cadillac research center at Gilmore Museum.  I included the photos as an example.
Ken
LaPorte, IN

1950 Series 6169

Jon S

Quote from: oldcarguy on May 01, 2017, 08:49:41 AM
Yep, used Eastwood on my '55, 56, 59 Chevys and it looks good and last for a long time. As with anything else, the better the prep, the longer it lasts and the better it looks!

Now, I just got my '41 back from the shop after an engine rebuild and a bunch of other stuff and the exhaust manifolds need help. I'm not going the high dollar original route, so, how is the Hirsch high temp coating? I suppose the black would look best, your opinions, thoughts would be appreciated...
Thanks

Don Ford

I too have used Eastwood and have had very good luck with it!
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT