News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Coolant leakage

Started by gary griffin, May 01, 2017, 03:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I was discussing this with Eddie Jones and he s aid it was common practice to install "Builders cubes by " Bars Leaks" after working on engines as leak preventative. I found the's and am assuming they are current generation replacement for builders cubes. 

Is this a good practice?  Reading the package and lots to be good product!!
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

TJ Hopland

I'm not sure if its changed or not but a for years the Bars and GM packages were identical except for the printing.   The GM stuff was what was recommended for the 4100's.   

Supposedly the coolant put in at the factory contains that stuff just to make sure everything is good and sealed on new engines.    My freshly rebuilt 500 slightly seeped around the freeze plugs so I called the shop I had worked with on the rebuild and they said to throw one of those in.   Its been fine ever since.  I was not talking about leave a puddle sort of a leak, it was more of a wet spot that was really easy to see on a fresh engine.   If you are leaving puddles you need new parts. 

Personally I don't put them in anything if there are no signs of issues.   I sure would not keep adding them in without a full coolant flush.  If you keep putting stuff like that in it tends to start clogging up all sorts of things and sometimes can't easily be cleaned out one the real issue is addressed.   

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason