News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Dual circuit master kit for late 30s up to 1949

Started by Caddy Wizard, May 03, 2017, 10:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddy Wizard

As some of you know, I created a dual circuit master cylinder adapter kit for a 1949 Cadillac and then found out that it fits Cadillac's back into the late-30s.  I actually made 50 of these kits and I have sold out my entire stock.  The kits mount a modern dual master in the same location as the original single master and work with the stock drum brakes.  Even the original brake lines remain intact (I do supply a couple of adapter lines and some special junctions to connect everything up).  So the safety of a redundant hydraulic circuit is provided, but without abandoning the stock drum brakes.  And importantly (at least to me), no holes are drilled in the car, nor are there any irreversible changes to the car.  Truly a bolt-on kit.

Since running out of the kits, I have gotten a steady stream of inquiries asking if I have any more of them and when I will be back in stock.  Based on the apparent demand, I am going to do what I can to bring these back to market, one way or another, and hope to facilitate a supply of these by the end of this summer.  The price will probably have to be a little higher than in the past, but this system is far superior (IMHO) to the other options.

If your are interested, send me an email to agardner@gardnergroff.com.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

bcroe

Thats great work, any of those cars actually driven should get it.  Bruce Roe

Bill Sanders

Hello Art,
Thanks for the latest update. Good progress. I'm still getting by with a slightly leaky single master cylinder.
Please let me know when I can order the kit.
Thanks,
Bill sanders
805 8017923

Caddy Wizard

Things are definitely in work.  I have amassed all of the little items and the two items that machine shops and metal fab shops make for me are in work.  Probably still looking at weeks (but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel).
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)

Jim Miller

I recently installed one of Art's brackets with the Wilwood dual master cylinder on my '41. As advertised, a bolt on kit and no holes drilled. A higher level of safety and it's certainly easy to check fluid levels. Mounted the reservoirs(ok-2 small holes) on the backside of the inner fender where it's hardly seen.
Jim Miller
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

Caddy Wizard

For the 49 bodies only, I also have designed a mounting "plate" that secures to the inner fender without drilling holes in the inner fender.  Essentially, the idea is to use the existing fasteners that secure the inner fender to the rest of the fender.  We unscrew a few of the 1/4-20 factory bolts and screw in longer ones.  Then we slip on the plate, which is provided with attachment holes in the exact pattern of the inner fender bolts.  So the longer bolts act as mounting studs for the plate.  Some washers and some nuts and the plate is attached to the inner fender without drilling any holes!  My mounting plate is designed for the 49 fender, but clever car owners can easily do the same thing for other years.  Just use a bit of cardboard to make a template of where the factory bolts are and then make the plate out of sheet steel or aluminum.  I powder coat them black, but the finish is up to you.

My own personal ethos about these cars is that we are mere stewards of the cars and one day we will sell them (or will pass away) and the cars will go on to someone else.  Because of that, I greatly prefer that any modifications I make to an old Cadillac be completely reversible so the next owner can unbolt my improvements and go back to stock without leaving ANY trace of my modifications.  Hence, I tend to go to considerable lengths to avoid drilling holes in the body or the frame.
Art Gardner

docscantlin

Sir: ...any more of these cylinders/reservoirs available for purchase? Thank you.
Doc Scantlin

bobrich47

Hi Art, I am interested in one of your kits. Let me know when they become available.  Thank you, Bob Richards.
Bob Richards