News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Perfect Circle Speed-O-Stat repair/restoration?

Started by m-mman, May 04, 2017, 01:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-mman

The Perfect Circle corporation released the first true cruise control (Speed-O-Stat) on Chrysler & Imperial in 1958. The system was quickly adopted by Cad in '59, Lincoln in '60 and eventually most every other manufacture. They all use the same basic design and controls BUT . . . I know of nobody who repairs/restores them.

Even service information is not what I would think it is. Most shop manuals (all makes) describe a diagnosis procedure but if the main unit is bad the remedy is typically "replace entire assembly"

I would think with so many out there, there would be a person or shop that specializes in fixing them but I cant find any.
Does anybody know who restores these things? or where to get parts? or good modern information that would lead someone to a home grown repair?
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

cadillactim

I've rebuilt more than a dozen of the 1959-69 units. Some parts are unavailable, but have had pretty good success rebuilding them.

Tim
Tim Groves

Dave Shepherd

I fixed one on a 59 Seville, the white lube had gummed up the works and everything​ need cleaning up and proper cable adjustments, as mentioned there is no shop manual repair procedure.  You can easily hook up a bench test rig with some jumpers and a 12 v battery, once you open it up and see how it operates. 

m-mman

Thanks, so it IS doable.  ???
Maybe now I can summon up enough courage to tackle mine.  8)
1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634