News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Power steering line connections on the PS gearbox of a '62...

Started by Edward Kenny, May 05, 2017, 01:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edward Kenny

It seems that the low pressure line connection at the power steering gearbox in my '62 is leaking. The connector seat at the joint might be a bit compromised at this point because the line is very tightly connected to the gearbox. (I have yet to get the line loose after a few tries with a crowfoot attachment to my socket wrench.)

The shop manual gives instructions on replacement of the connector seats in the gearbox, which would probably cure the leak in this circumstance. However, I am under the impression that connector seats by themselves are not available these days.

Would teflon tape work to seal up the gearbox connection? If not, what else would work in this case (short of a full gearbox replacement)?

62 driver

I used a 1962 Chevrolet PS return hose and that stopped my leak. I do think NAPA selling replacement connector seats.  I do think the a new hose would work first. Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

russ austin

The gearbox is a typical GM gearbox, and parts are available. The casting # may be Cadillac specific, but the internals are all GM. If NAPA doesn't have it, locate a rebuilder and you will find the inserts.
R.Austin

Edward Kenny

Thank you Gentlemen!! I do appreciate your input. I'll check with NAPA first.