News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Temperature Sending Unit - 1976 Eldorado

Started by 7gen, May 05, 2017, 07:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7gen

I recently purchased a Standard Motor Products TS-70 temperature sending unit for the high speed blower cutoff behind the alternator. Works great.

However, I want to buy another one and cannot find anything on line anymore. I found a TS-72, which looks the same but fits a 79 Eldorado/Deville/Seville. Does anyone know about interchangeability?

Or maybe have a source for the TS-70? Thanks!!!

EAM 17806

Try "ROCK AUTO.COM" for the sending unit. If they're out of stock click on the link that asks them to contact you when the item is available; they are a good source.   EAM
Ev Marabian

1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, 1990 Pontiac Bonneville and 1996 Buick Skylark

bcroe

Quote from: 7genI recently purchased a Standard Motor Products TS-70 temperature
sending unit for the high speed blower cutoff behind the alternator. Works great.

However, I want to buy another one and cannot find anything on line anymore. I found
a TS-72, which looks the same but fits a 79 Eldorado/Deville/Seville. Does anyone know
about interchangeability?

I'd give you mine, but I doubt I can find it after 22 years.  Bruce Roe

7gen

I put myself on the Rockauto notification list. I've purchased parts there before but never knew about the notification feature. I'm not in any rush.

Thanks!!!!

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

These (D-1870 and 1872) sensors have virtually dissappeared.  Someone on E-bay has some sort of a reproduction for $75.00.  For what ever reason I found a few of them I had squirreled away.  If anyone is interested please PM me.  I will let the NOS Delco sensors (either side) go for $125.00 plus the shipping.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

This sensor makes ground when block reaches about 140'F (these sensors are hard to find because normally this type of sensor activates when engine gets too hot or is warmed up - more in the 210-250'F range) so if you parked outside in winter upon start up cold air would not blow on your ankles - my Grandmother liked this feature.  Anyway, you can run the wire to ground and not have the delay feature, as most did if the sensor went bad.  Frequently the dash sensor in temperature wheel device that also provides a corresponding delay for a/c, albeit quite short when operational.  This sensor is one of the most common failure items in that dash temp wheel unit.  If you ground the wire behind alternator that connects to this sensor, the a/c will also start up immediately.  When I'm fixing climate controls, I routinely ground this out because most people use the a/c and rarely drive during extremely cold weather.  If you want the delay feature then you have to have that sensor.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
One of the other functions of the delay switch/sensor is to let the compressor and the refrigeration system start unloaded.  This allows both compressor longevity and lets the motor warm up smoother without the load on the belt drive. 
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-