News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Cadillac water pump

Started by john estes, May 07, 2017, 10:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john estes

I am about to attempt a water pump rebuild on 58 Cadillac. Looking for tips or suggestions before I get started. Also the heater hoses have been disconnected from the engine since I have owned the car. I assume the heater core probably leaks. Since I'm working on the cooling system I'm going to go ahead and fix this as well. I'm just not sure where the hoses attach to the engine. The water pump has a plug on the left side so I'm guessing this is where one hose attaches but I don't know where the other hose attaches. Thanks in advance for any help.

John Estes
John Estes

john estes

I have removed the water pump and started the tear down. I'm starting to think this is not the correct water pump for the 58. After looking at some pictures of water pumps on eBay I can see that both heater hoses attach to the water pump, one on the side and the other on the back. My water pump has no port in the back.

John Estes
John Estes

fishnjim

'58 is a one year only pump.   The heater hoses come out the drivers side (see motor pix) under the steering pump/oil filter bracket.
The '57 thru '60 pumps will fit, but the hose connections are different so that's probably what going on.
The originals are a little tougher to gather but out there.   Unfortunately, I don't have one.   They're pricey because they're scarce and hard to find a good casting that doesn't need rebuilt.  Some rebuilders have them in stock for swap.   
You can get repro pumps from China. Sources change from time to time so you have to check around for the best.   Some have casting numbers some don't.   
As far as rebuild goes, you need to have a machine shop or lathe available and press.  Everything presses in.   The OEM seal is no longer made so they use a swimming pool seal and the dimensions change a bit.   A sleeve is used.   If you use a modern impeller, that also has to be cut.  Plus you need a spacer made for seal install.   I had mixed success with rebuild kits, but the one from Fusick was the best.