News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

91 cadillac Brougham A C module short life

Started by Viator Trudeau, May 08, 2017, 01:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

Hello all;  four or five years  ago the A C module burned out,and A C motor ran full time.  Replaced three from local auto junk yard  Last ones lasted  15 miles.  What in the circuits causes  this to happen.  On the fire wall just above dist. and behind the air cleaner(on 5.7 liter engine) are a couple of relays that have wires going to them from Module.    Are some of those bad burning out the A C  module.  I have replaced the A C fan motor.  Need help.

V.  Trudeau 

Walter Youshock

Mine crapped out on the way to Nationals in Ohio.  No chance to hit junk yards.  I ordered a new one from the Cadillac dealer in Columbus.  The heat deflector in the replacement is different from the original.  This is a common problem on these cars.

I'm glad I spent the money and didn't go chasing my tail with a used one...  eventually they all burn out.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

smokuspollutus

Chased the same problem on my 84 E car with basically the same setup. Get a new quality blower motor, the old ones get hard to turn and draw too much current, resulting in a blown module. I plan to change the blower every few years as cheap insurance, the only modules for the E bodies are either used, rebuilt, or NOS. I think there are still new delco ones available for the newer stuff though.

Would love to learn how to rebuild the modules, I have a stack of blown ones here!

Viator Trudeau

The replacement A C modules from junk yards are costing me $30.00 to $40.00.  New ones at Cadillac dealers are $ 250.00.???  I would like to find the cause of short life and fix it before I throw any more money at it.

V. Trudeau

cadillac

Walter Youshock

Because the modules are old, used and we're faulty...  go to the dealer and get a new one.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan LeBlanc

For the $120 you've spent on used ones so far, you would've already half paid for a brand new one at the dealer.

Now the $250 dealer part is going to cost you $370.

Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet...
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car