News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Wipers/Washers 1956 Cadillac

Started by chstitans42, May 10, 2017, 01:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chstitans42

Trying to get my windshield washers to work, but the bet that I can get is a drizzle out of the nozzles. I bought a pump that was claimed to be rebuilt. Now it DOES pump water, just not sure if it is enough to make it to the top of the windshield with any kind of psi. I have vacuum at the pump, and have rebuilt the button in the dash so it no longer leaks vacuum and works like it should. When I press the button I can see the level in the jar drop.

On a second note, I noticed that the coordinator is getting vacuum but is not moving at all. Am I right in assuming that this should move when vacuum is applied? Should the large round seal inside the case be vacuum tight?

Any help would be appreciated.

J. Gomez

Ben,

As for the pump I do not have the psi since there is no constant water pressure as the electric ones.

Inside the canister there is a large clear plunger with two rubber seals, one is for the vacuum and the other is for the washer fluid. Inside this plunger there is a large compression spring and a small plunger with a small spring at the end which closes the vacuum going inside the canister.

Vacuum pulls the large plunger upwards compressing the large spring once it reaches the top the small plunger closes the vacuum source, so there is always vacuum present at the pump. If vacuum is lost inside the canister more is apply until it reaches the top for the small plunger to close the source.

When you press the washer button inside the cab you release the vacuum this forces the large plunger to drop by the spring tension to pump washer fluid out. So it is only a small quantity (what is inside the canister) of fluid that is force out.

Adjusting the tips to spray higher or lower on the windshield is all you can do.

As for the coordinator the answer is yes, it should hold vacuum and pull in once it is apply to operate the wiper motor. 

HTH

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

cadman56

My experience with the co-coordinator is the vacuum is lost through the very small rubber disc type seal the plunger wire goes through.  I have been able to very carefully smooth out the flat spot on the end of the wire so the small metal disc comes off.  Then VERY carefully bend back the tabs that hold the large disc to the coordinator assy.  I made a new rubber seal and reassembled everything.  Worked  like new every time.
Good luck, Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

chstitans42

Thanks for the replies everyone! So where did you get the new rubber seal for the coordinator? I thought about making one, but had no idea where to start

chstitans42

cadman56

I used a paper hole punch on a piece of 1/16" rubber sheet I had left over from my 67 Eldo restoration.  I then poked a hole in the center with a straight pin.  I carefully cut the outside of the piece down to fit into the recess the old seal fit in.  If I remember correctly, bear in mind I am now an old man, the return spring under the piston holds down a small metal plate to keep the seal in place.  Worked like a charm always.  Good luck.  Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820