News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

changing weather strips on my 74 Eldorado Convertible

Started by Seachange01, May 12, 2017, 05:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seachange01

Hi guys,
I have a brand new set of weather strips, some adhesive and some adhesive remover all just waiting out in my garage for me to come out this Sunday and remove the old set and put the new ones in :)
It seems like a fairly straight forward task. Has anyone done this before? if so, any tips for a first timer? (I have the whole gluing and the best way to get a good adhesion all down pat), Just looking to make sure there is nothing too tricky, or deceptively easy to miss, that could bring me undone ;)
Alan

chrisntam

Make sure you use the black weatherstrip adhesive, not the yellow.  Invariably, some will squish out.  If it does, it stays yellow FOREVER.

I fixed that issue, sold the car.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

76eldo

Go online and try to search for videos from Steele Rubber Products.
They had one of their people on an episode of My Classic Car showing the correct way to glue weatherstripping into the car.

Less is more. They showed applying a thin even film on both surfaces.
I've installed weatherstripping with the 3M adhesive and applied it more like mustard on a hot dog and got the squish of yellow goo mentioned above. They may also have a black adhesive available

YouTube is a great resource for seeing different repair methods on everything. I usually watch some videos that are relevant to get ideas.

Good luck and post pics please.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Seachange01

Quote from: 76eldo on May 12, 2017, 07:04:19 PM
Go online and try to search for videos from Steele Rubber Products.
They had one of their people on an episode of My Classic Car showing the correct way to glue weatherstripping into the car.

Less is more. They showed applying a thin even film on both surfaces.
I've installed weatherstripping with the 3M adhesive and applied it more like mustard on a hot dog and got the squish of yellow goo mentioned above. They may also have a black adhesive available

YouTube is a great resource for seeing different repair methods on everything. I usually watch some videos that are relevant to get ideas.

Good luck and post pics please.

Thanks Brian,
I know the video you mean, I have actually watched it. Great tips for gluing styles.

Brian

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Weather-stripping adhesive is technically called a "contact cement".
Read on to see why.

Follow the application directions to get a correct, long-lasting seal.
All that is needed is to first put a thin coat evenly covering both
surfaces.  Then, allow it to dry for the number of minutes specified
in the directions.  Failure to do this step properly will give you a weak bond.

Once dried as per directions CAREFULLY press the two sides together.  It
grabs instantly "on conract" and cannot be finessed / moved afterwards. 
That's why it's important to try the fit of the weather strips first to see if any
trimming or if alignment issues are present.

3M black (as mentioned previously) is what you need to use.  Steele makes the
best replacement rubber parts (IMHO).

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region