News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How I Got My 1933 Cadillac

Started by rochestergremlin, May 13, 2017, 10:48:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rochestergremlin

So, I am the proud owner of a completely original 1933 Cadillac 355-C V8 Club Sedan, and I'm only 26.  But the story of how I got the car is really something.
     In May of 2016, I got lost coming home from Monroe Community College.  I live in Rochester NY, so it wasn't that far away.  But I had to take a detour and subsequently got lost.  Eventually I ended up almost 14 miles off course, so I pulled in at the first big driveway I found to get out my GPS.  At the end of the driveway was a barn with the door open, and I could see this beautiful car inside with a for sale sign stuck to it.
     The car was covered with dust so thick that you could visibly measure the thickness.  The entire car had turned this grayish-brown.  The wheels had been removed and the car was sitting on blocks.
Surprisingly there was no real damage or serious rust on the car though.  I think the barn was climate controlled to be honest.  There was no mice damage or missing parts either.  But she was also clearly no spring chicken.  The paint was somewhat faded and nicked in places, the front carpet was a bit threadbare around the edges, and there was a small tear in the driver's seat.  But other than that, she was in great shape.  I mean there were only 45,000 original miles on it.
     I've always wanted an antique car ever since I was little, so on an impulse I went up to the house to ask about it.  The guy who answered the door had absolutely no interest in the car and also clearly had no idea what he had.  I think he just wanted to get rid of it.  He said that if I would take it in the next 48 hours, that I could have it for $5,000!  The next day I called the service station near my house.  I know the man who runs it and asked him if he would help me pick the car up.  Luckily he said yes.  We got in his flatbed tow truck and, cash in hand, drove out there and I bought the car on the spot.  I signed the papers and we got it on the truck and drove back to my house.
     Now, here's the thing, I live with my parents and I didn't tell them anything about this because I was afraid they'd say no.  So, the car gets delivered to my house and my dad is in the front yard.  To his credit, all he said was, "How much did you pay for it?"  I showed him the papers and he said, "You've just made the best purchase of your life."  My mom fell in love with the car right away, and I spent the rest of spring cleaning up the car.  Imagine my surprise to find that the car still ran with almost no problems.  But then, last October, the carburetor float failed to float so the engine started flooding, so I've got to take care of that.
     So that's how I ended up with this big old beauty.  By the way, I know it's a bit unprofessional and really cliche, but I decided to give the car a name.  I named her Myrna after Myrna Loy, the famous actress from the 1930s.  I'm still looking into the car's history, so hopefully I'll have a post detailing the car's past soon.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

That's quite a story.

Congratulations on your acquisition and please post some pictures.

Welcome to the CLC forum.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jeff Wilk

Simply awesome story and somewhat similar to how/when/what started my car obsession/hobby/illness back when I was 17 (now 38 years ago), and it was a 1933 Chevy Sedan that I still have as my first car.....also with the MOST understanding parents!!!!!  Please post pictures, and you will find incredible help and friendship from this site.....make sure you join both the national and regional chapter as you are able......endless amounts of help here within the CLC Family......congratulations once again.

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

harry s

Congratulations on a great find (great deal too by the way). Good thing you didn't have your GPS hooked up. I'm with the others on posting pictures.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Walter Youshock

Great story and what a way to enter the old car hobby!!!  I was 23 when I got the '57 so I can relate. 

Post pictures and join the CLC.  The car and membership are great investments!

And Cadillacs are like potato chips--you can't stop at one...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

stzomah

I got my Cadillac back in Sept 1975.  I was 16 and she was 19!
1956 Series 62 Coupe
owned since 1975

chrisntam

I know I speak for everyone here, we're ready for those pictures......

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas