News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1978 Eldorado Cruise control test question

Started by dennisoates, May 20, 2017, 09:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisoates

when i do the resistance test on the solenoid valve and the power unit control valve, i get the proper ohms reading on my multi tester. 56 ohms on the solenoid valve and 24 on the vacuum control valve.
but when i run the jumper wires direct to both valves, they  are supposed to click twice. Neither valves click when i test them, Can both valves be bad?
How can ohms reading be correct but THE VALVES WILL NOT CLICK  when i jump wires direct from the battery.
I believe they are original. any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you

TJ Hopland

Im not familiar with the test you are trying to perform.  Is this test process in the service manual or from Cadillac Tim?   

The ohm reading is just telling us that the coil is not shorted or open so most likely the coil is working.    Assuming you are connecting to a power source I would guess the 2 clicks you are looking for is one when it activates and one when it deactivates.   If you are not hearing the click and the coil tests good its got to mean its just physically stuck.   If thats the case we will just have to wait for someone like Tim to tell you if them sticking is a common problem at this stage and if they are repairable. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dennisoates

yes the test is in the service manual, thanks