News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Chrome polish

Started by Bill Young, May 27, 2017, 04:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Young

Hello , I am interested in feedback from Members regarding what the best chrome polish would be to gleen as much out of old Bumper Chrome as can be. Also if there is a spray or rub that I don't know of that restores Chrome luster that is fading on my 1972 Eldorado rear center face bar. I simply cannot afford to Re Chrome and that is that. Thank You in advance.

Jeff Wilk

Autosol Creme. Works magic!!!
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Dan LeBlanc

0000 steel wool and WD-40 will get years of buildup and grime off before polishing. Autosol as mentioned works great, as does Wenol. I'm into the Meguiars metal finishing polish of late and it seems excellent also.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Bill Young

cadillac ken

I used to use steel wool but the small fibers would soon settle in areas and cause tiny rust spots.  Try going with Bronze wool.  I use it dry and it won't scratch anything.  Even great on glass that has overspray or years of what seems like unremovable residues.

Ken in FL

62 driver

Bill, This is off subject but I hope you're doing well. I think of you every year at this time. God bless you! Dave
Dave Schneider,  CLC #27889

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Bill...this is the best metal polish on the market, IMO.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

willits

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on May 27, 2017, 05:02:23 PM
Autosol Creme. Works magic!!!
Autosol is the stuff to use.
Peter Willits
1958 Coupe DeVille http://bit.ly/1O6BGVu
1961 62 Convertible http://bit.ly/1O6BHst
2008 STS-V http://bit.ly/1O6CI3P

59-in-pieces

Bill,
I have tried the 0000 steel wool and bronze wool - and they're OK.
I have also read in prior posts on this subject that aluminum foil works well - I don't think so from my experience.
However, for those folks who suggested AUTOSOL - that is what I use and it works gr8.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Jay Friedman

I like Wright's Brass Polish, recommended to me years ago by the late Ron Van Gelderen.  I buy it in my local hardware store.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Bill Young

Thank You Dave Schneider. I am OK , Blessings to you also.

David Greenburg

Another vote for Auto-sol.  Works great on chrome, stainless, and aluminum.  Did a great job bringing a neglected '59 Eldo rear grille back to life when I needed to clean it up for sale. As for steel wool, I know folks who recommend a slightly more aggressive wool ( like 00) on stainless; might be too much for chrome.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

I use all sorts of Autosol, not only for chrome and not only for cars...
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville