News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Series 62 convertible at Kokomo Auction

Started by Barry M Wheeler #2189, May 27, 2017, 04:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I just got home from attending the Hoosier Classic Auction at the Kokomo Auto Museum. There was an original light blue 1959 Cadillac Series 62 convertible being offered. It was pretty solid and straight with a couple of rust streaks down low where the paint was thin. I'm sorry that I didn't check it over the way you '59 nuts would have liked, but as many of you know, I didn't like them in October of 1958 at the Indy car show and I haven't changed my mind all that much since.  In any case, the car sold for $46,500.

I did goof up in one respect. There was a pretty nice 1982 Eldorado that was very clean. I gave it a ten foot pass when I first came in but didn't check it out better as I figured it had the 4.1 engine. Well, it did, except it was the 4.1 V-6 like the one in my '81 Seville. This little gem went out the door for only $2,000.

There were a couple of 80s Eldo convertibles on the floor. One had the top down It may not have had one from the condition of the driver's seat which had "some kind of seat upholstery) attached to the leather with duct tape that sold for $2650. This portended to be a money sewer of the first magnitude. Then there was an '85 factory convertible with a R/R grill and trunk rack that I stayed to possibly bid on. I took my Serial #s to check whether it was one of the "good" '85s and it was. But it had rust bubbles on the RH A pillar and another rusty spot down low by the floor, along with a rub spot on the top where it folded into the body. So when it passed four grand, I passed on the chance to join the Past Presidents '80s Eldo Convertible Club.

I left before the '84 Seville came on the block so as not to have been tempted. There was a good crowd and from what was said, a lot of internet bidders as well. CLC member Jeff Shively was giving the run down on all the cars as they came on the block and did a great job. As Mammy Yokum always said, "It was a "glittering affair."
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Eric, Thanks for looking up the pictures. I carry my I phone in my breast pocket and forget it's got a camera. If it ever rang, it'd probably scare me to death. The auction folks were a family affair and seemed quite friendly and professional. 8% buyer's fee. Refreshments were a little pricey...$2.50 for a doughnut and coffee for my mid-morning snack. Trying to bring the fast lane to Hoosier Land I guess. Not too bad a crowd for having a Mecum 50 miles away the same day (I think.) This is the second year for the auction and it does benefit the Kokomo museum which is pretty nice for being in the middle of nowhere in Indiana. Jeff is the curator and would love to have you stop any time you're driving up the (new and improved) US 31 in our state. It's not too far off the Kokomo bypass to US 931 (which has more stop lights than any seven mile stretch in the USA I believe.) They even have signs warning you of this as you come into town.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Chuck Patton

This vehicle is currently For Sale for 75k.
Appraiser-Broker-Consultant
Past CLC National Board Director
Past CLCMRC Director
Past CLC Motor City Region President
CLC 1959-60 Cadillac Chapter Director
CLC Life Member #23147

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Given restoration costs these days, I think the new owner is somewhat optimistic. As has been pointed out many times on the Forum, it is way cheaper to purchase a car that is "done." Unless you relieved your first love of her pearl of great price in the back seat of a baby blue 1959 Cadillac convertible, and she wishes to recreate the event.

Of course your wife might complain a little...
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

INTMD8

Looks much better cleaned up. Auction sell price seems fair but agreed the flip is a bit optimistic.

Horn ring looks old, I wonder if they tried to repair the original or just replaced it with a used one.

Years ago, a black on red leather one in pretty deplorable shape made $44K on eBay. It was said to be a sheriff sale of some sort for an estate. Given what '59 verts are bringing these days, $65K - $70K (which I'm sure he'd take) doesn't seem that far out of line for a driver quality, semi-original survivor.

I assume the first picture is of the couple who owned the car since 1966.

$46,500 was likely the hammer price; with 8% buyer's premium, the total would be $50,220.