News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

whitewall

Started by Dave Ventresca, May 27, 2017, 09:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Ventresca

I know its been discussed before countless times, but what is the BEST way to clean wide whites? I have tried Blechwhite, scothbrite pads, 409, lacquer thinner, etc, but what do the pros use?I mean white white , not sorta white. Dave

dplotkin

Dave; Once you begin applying chemicals or abrading the surface you become married to having to continue to do so indefinitely. Coker & Diamondback both instruct not to do either. (See their websites for care instructions). Here's what I do, 50-50 Simple Green & water in a spray bottle on dry tires, rinse, do it again but hit with a plastic brush, rinse. If you clean them every outing or every other they are easy to keep clean.

Westley's will dry out the surfaces & soon you will notice micro cracking in the whitewall material. Nothing stronger than Simple Green is needed.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

David Greenburg

IIRC, Diamondback recommends a green scotchbrite for their whitewalls.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Dave:

Whatever you do -- don't use lacquer thinner on your tires.  The chemicals in it
will degrade the rubber and damage it.

I've used Westley's for many years without a problem, but based on one of the
earlier posts here may try the Meguiar's product.  It sounds interesting.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

The Tassie Devil(le)

I wipe mine down with Brakleen.   But, use a fresh piece of cloth for each wipe, and never get any overlap from the black-wall.   Plus, no stopping and starting.   Just a complete wipe around with the cloth-covered finger, with the Brakleen soaked into the cloth.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TC

FWIW, Blue Magic bought the Westley's product and the rep told me personally it is not the same as it was. Modern VOC regulations forced them to weaken it into compliance. I asked because I felt Westley's did not work as well as it used to.

Meguiars Detailers line of products are excellent and economical. Their Wheel and Tire cleaner works very well.

https://www.ebay.com/i/like/151593046060?chn=ps&dispItem=1

An old reliable "go-to" for me has always been an SOS or Brillo pad. I like SOS better. Works well on scuffs too. 

But for the final step with any cleaner used, rinse with clean water and a clean brush. This gives the extra white look we look for.