News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Radiator Replacement

Started by smokuspollutus, May 28, 2017, 08:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokuspollutus

Hi all,

The original radiator on my 84 Eldorado is in need of replacement. Pickings overall for this car in terms of replacement rads seem to be thin, as it has both a trans and oil cooler in the radiator.

From what I've gathered, the vast majority of replacements are plastic/aluminum and pretty cheap, like too good to be true cheap. Anyone had experience with these in a 4100 or newer car? I know the aluminum motors put out a lot less heat than the older motors, but the margin for error in an overheat condition is a lot less too. I have seen some plastic/alum installations and they look pretty lightweight but I haven't heard anything bad.

I have found one source that claims to be a brass/copper replacement.
https://coolestradiator.com/index.php?vPath=CADILLAC_1985_ELDORADO_null_1026100_18
It is about the same price as I was expecting, but the cost is really irrelevant, I drive this car daily in good weather (all the hot months!) and need it to be up to the task. I'm just concerned of going for a copper rad and it having more corners cut in its design to keep costs down than would a more popular plastic/aluminum deal. Anyone buy from this supplier, or can provide any sources for a copper rad for a 4.1?

How about an all-aluminum setup?

I'd like to try and get one that is mass-produced, I've had bad luck trying to get stuff custom-made for greater performance in the past and the product didn't deliver on the builders claims. Not really looking for a repair on the current rad either. Don't want to take a shot and end up stuck somewhere.

Thanks for any help you can provide!  :)

Anthony

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I don't have an answer for you. However I would suggest you be sure the radiator is actually bad. I was expecting the worst on mine but was able to determine my cap only held 2 pounds of pressure. If you haven't already, rent a preasure kit to check not only the radiator but the cap too
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

I would personally not use an Aluminium Radiator unless it was actually purposefully designed for a task.

Simply making a replacement to replicate the original in dimensions will not cut it simply because the differences between the performance of a copper/brass radiator is far superior to an all aluminium one.

From what I have found that an Aluminium one needs to be quite larger in coolant capacity, and cooling surface area, and therefore overall weight.

Sure, Aluminium is cheap, and makers use it these days for radiators, but don't forget that cars these days are made on the basis of cost, and when designing a radiator, if they can save a dollar, they will.   

Plus, with a lot of engines now being made out of aluminium castings and forgings, the engineers can design the cooling systems to cope, and be compatible, with cost constraints.

The copper/brass systems can be repaired, whereas the aluminium ones are designed to be simply replaced.

Bruce. >:D 
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

When I bought my 1966 CDV it had a been through a front accident. Replaced the bumper and grill and had the hood straightened and painted. Was at that time thinking of buying a new radiator but in the end optioned to have it rebuilt. Went to a truck & bus repair shop in my neighborhood and asked them for help. They replaced the cooling fins and the water tubes with new and soldiered into the radiator frame. By this design the radiator was about a quarter of an inch thicker and gave a very good cooling.

Take your old radiator to shop and have it flushed out and rebuilt. Will be a better choice than refitting with a new aluminum.

TJ Hopland

I have not had issues with the plastic aluminum ones.   The all aluminum ones seem to be all over the place for both quality and fit.    I would say your options are either a aluminum plastic one or recore of the existing one which will likely be in the $400-500 range.     For the most part I have been buying the plastic aluminum ones and putting the old one on the shelf so if I decide its not working or I want to go original I can.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

smokuspollutus

Unfortunately I am not that lucky. There is some coolant gel on the left tank that is seeping from the seam, so I am in for a repair or replacement.

I had the shroud off over the winter and to be honest the core doesn't look too hot (excuse the pun) either. In my area there is only one radiator shop and I have not heard good things about it from a buddy who used him. Anyway, after 34 years of cooling, I think this rad is due for a rest. I usually save all old parts so in the event that whatever replacement is used doesn't work out, I will have it and can take it from there.

I will keep the plastic one in mind. They seem to do a good job in most of our newer cars but I don't think I can bring myself to put one in this car. I've seen them installed and they really don't look right. Anyone have experience with the "Coolest Radiator" site I linked? Some parts of it don't seem too legit but the specifications for the radiator are spot on (1/4 inch thicker than the original) and I am leaning towards them. Going to give them a call beforehand.

Thanks for all the input guys, and if anyone else has put a radiator in a small E car please let me know which route you went.

smokuspollutus

Update here, ended up getting the original re-cored when the place that said they had a copper unit in stock didn't. To anyone who comes into a similar situation, I think this is the route you're going to have to go if you don't want plastic. Good luck!