News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 deVille Convertible headliner

Started by Dan LeBlanc, May 31, 2017, 02:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

Can someone provide photos of the 1970 deVille convertible headliner that goes between the first and second bows?  How does it install?  I see some screws in my second bow across the middle, so I'm assuming that's how it would install there.  Just curious about at the first bow?

Does the headliner and insulation make a big difference in road noise?  I have a lot of road noise at highway speeds above my head (yeah, I know, it's a convertible), just wondering if it would make enough of a difference to warrant buying one.  Car is quieter on the highway with the top down than the top up.  That doesn't scream Cadillac to me.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

chrisntam

My car is also loud at highway speeds, mostly from other vehicles.  Top up, top down, doesn't seem to matter.  I put dynaliner and dynamate on the floor pan but the road noise is tremendous. 

I "think" its just a convertible issue.  I live in Dallas and there are always cars around me.  Have no idea how it is on a country road at sunset, but I want to know.

My car still has the factory top on it and I'd consider the car "noisy.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dan LeBlanc

I'm thinking they installed the insulation panel to try and reduce it somewhat as it was only installed in the upward slope of the roof. The downward slope after the 2nd bow probably has less wind turbulence over it.

Right now over my head there's nothing but the outer top material. They never reinstalled the headliner and insulation in the front area when the top was replaced before I got the car.

I've been in Mustang convertibles before and yes, I expect it to be louder because of what it is. They were louder than their closed counterparts.  I expect the same in the Cadillac, however I doubt the discriminating Cadillac buyer of the day would've found it acceptable to turn the radio all the way up when the top was up.

My thinking at this point is that it may not hurt.
Dan LeBlanc

chrisntam

Here are pics of the underside of my top, reported (and I think) to be original.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dan LeBlanc

Thanks Chris. In still have the same 4 screws in my second bow ad you have pictured.  At the front, they used a press on edgeband rubber to his the screw holes on mine.

If you're sitting in your drivers seat, do you see screws on the front bow as well with the top down?

I found the kit from a convertible top company.  If it's just held on with screws I could install it myself.
Dan LeBlanc

chrisntam

Here are some pics, the top is down right now.  It appears the "headliner" is sewed (connected somehow) above the front header, and right now, I can't determine how it's connected.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

chrisntam

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on May 31, 2017, 07:23:36 PM
Thanks Chris. In still have the same 4 screws in my second bow ad you have pictured.  At the front, they used a press on edgeband rubber to his the screw holes on mine.

If you're sitting in your drivers seat, do you see screws on the front bow as well with the top down?

I found the kit from a convertible top company.  If it's just held on with screws I could install it myself.

Please, no offense!  Suggest you proof your post, I can understand most of it, but not sure what "...rubber to his the screw holes on mine" means.    Hide the screw holes?

Didn't see (or feel) any screws on the front bow, but that doesn't mean they're not there, I just don't see them.  Maybe easier to look when the top is closing and the top is more "loose" so I can poke around in there.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Dan LeBlanc

Chris. No offense taken. My eyes aren't what they used to be and staring at this little phone screen doesn't help. Autocorrect doesn't seem to like me either.

Perhaps it's time to admit defeat and get bifocals.  Lol

I do appreciate the help however.
Dan LeBlanc

76eldo

Dan,

My car is up on the lift with another car parked under it.

My top is original.  That additional section of material is referred to as a "silencer" and it's purpose is to cut down on wind noise.  How effective it really is would be debatable.  I am hoping to be able to get to the car this weekend and I will snap a few pics for you.

In the meantime I'd call Hydro Electric in Punta Gorda FL.  They are friendly and can talk to you about how that piece goes in and also sell you that section.

On any convertible I have owned and had a top done I always include the silencer if the car came with one.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

DeVille68

Hi guys

Thanks for the pictures! My 68 Conv is also missing this insulation, and I too have just the screws remaining in the second bow.
Here is another picture from a 69 Conv
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Dan LeBlanc

Hmmm.  This looks like something that has to be installed prior to the top being installed.
Dan LeBlanc

cadman56

Before I removed the original top on my 68 I noticed it had this additional part.  It had a loop across the back that a part of the second bow slipped through it.  The front part was sandwiched between the header bow and the top.  If I remember correctly the second bow actually was a two piece unit that was held together with screws.
I sold all my 68 convertibles and coupe and parts so can't take pictures. 
Larry

edit:  I forgot to mention there is a padding like horsehair between this panel and the top.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

Dan LeBlanc

My top is quite securely attached at the second bow.  The only way to attach there now would be to tuck in the loop neatly and screw through both layers of it as to not disturb the top.  I'm now wondering if the noise reduction would be noticeable enough to bother.
Dan LeBlanc

76eldo

It may not quiet things down enough to go through all the trouble.
Maybe you can figure out a way to do this with some Velcro?
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dan LeBlanc

I broke down and ordered the silencer today from topsonline.com. My top is an E-Z On top and they're one of the online distributors. It has already shipped so it must be a stock item. Had the top up and the a.c. on today coming home from work and figured I'll give it a shot. A slight noise reduction will be a bonus.

On the plus side, at 85F and 60% humidity, I was getting 50F vent temperatures running R12a. The down side is my compressor is noisy (chattering) so it may be time for another. I pulled the belt when I got home and the pulley bearing is silent but there's a little fore and aft movement in the shaft so something isn't right. I've heard the parts store remanufactured A6s are questionable at best. It was installed in 2013 and charged with Freeze 12. I evacuated that after the noise started and charged with R12a last weekend as I'd have to smuggle R12 across the border and risk getting caught.

When I replace the compressor (and it's just a matter of time I think) I'll replace all the underhood components, get the system in a vacuum state, and drive across the border and charge with R12 in a quiet spot.
Dan LeBlanc