News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Cruise Control Adjustment - Anyone Have This Experience?

Started by P. Manoogian, June 06, 2017, 08:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P. Manoogian

The cruise control in my 61 Eldorado works at 30 MPH and that's it. I can't get it to set at a higher rate of speed. Once it did set, but kept climbing and climbing in speed. The pedal switch is good and the three electrical terminals check out according to the TSM. There is reference to adjustments on the points inside and the Bowden cable that leads to the dash. I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and how you may have resolved it. As always, thanks. I really get good information from this group and it has been a big help!
1961 Eldorado - Shell Pearl/Mauve
1962 Corvette 327 - 250 HP Automatic Triple Black
1963 Impala SS Convertible - 283 Automatic Black Red Gut White Top
1965 Impala SS Coupe  - 502 Turbo 400 - Crocus Yellow
1974 Corvette L84 4spd Coupe - White / Black Leather

Detroit61biarritz

I've got a '61 Eldorado  with cruise control, but have never got it to work, period. Usually too worried about traffic to focus on testing it throroughly. I'm not on the highway enough to use it, and it has just become a curiosity when the hood is up.
Ex Opel & Fiat car designer
Ex GM car designer
Ex Tata stooge
Current Chinese start-up designer
Bloomfield Hills, Mi.
Vermonster by up-bringing
39 Dodge
29 Model A
72 Alfa
72 Lancia
69 Fiat Cinquecento

bcroe

The mechanical CCs were short lived, and the earliest ones were the worst. 
If the external stuff is OK, I'd try to find a spare for parts, and expect to do
a serious rebuild on the drive unit.  Actually what I'd do, is get an 80s
electronic unit with the vacuum activator.  good luck, Bruce Roe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

It's been at least thirty years since I drove a 1961 SDV six window back and forth to work, a distance of fifty miles each day. It had cruise on it and like the first poster, I found that it didn't stay at a set speed. So when my left hand got looking for "something to do" I let it play with the windows or the seat adjuster instead of the cruise. The car did have the best radio of the Cadillacs I had been driving.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

cadillactim

Sounds like  it may be a cable issue. Maybe a broken link in the speed control wheel on dash, or something wrong with cable at power unit.
The system controls the speed by centrifugal weights. The cable puts more pressure on those weights the faster you want the car to go. Since you can't set it for more than 30 mph, there may not enough pressure on the weights.

You can take the cover off the power unit and see if the cable is moving the spring against the weights as you rotate the speed dial.

Tim
Tim Groves

Glen

Back in the 70’s when I had my 61 Coupe Deville, I found a cruse control on a 62 that had the proper color dash unit in a junk yard.  I bought the complete system and installed it on my car.  It worked very well within the limitations of the design.  It held the correct speed properly.  The only problem was the other cars on the road didn’t.  Adjusting the speed while under cruise control was risky, as the speed could jump wildly.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104