News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Unwanted vegetation attached to my Cadillac

Started by gary griffin, June 19, 2017, 12:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I took my car in for several minor repairs and they took longer than expected. My favorite shop personifies backyard mechanic. George was my friend and passed away leaving the business to his son who I met when he was riding a try cycle around the woods adjacent  to the shop. He grew up there and now 40 years later he does all of my work at "family  rate", but sometimes it takes longer. Basically I need to know the easy way to get the crap off of my car. Any help will be appreciated
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Lexi

My car usually has a good coat of wax (therefore not oxidized), so I normally re-apply to any specific area to spot clean, ASAP. Afterward's the car's sheen always looks consistent, without the recently cleaned spots being apparent. Against my better judgement I made the mistake of parking under a tree at a Cadillac show a couple of years ago. By day's end my car was covered with sap or whatever from the tree. You could not see it, (as in your case), but the entire surface felt like fine sandpaper from whatever the tree shed. Wax did not work well in removing it so I used a clay bar with a detailer spray. While at it I re-waxed the car. The clay bar worked well in removing this type of contamination from vegetation. Three tiring days later I was finished and vowed to never park under a tree again! My other 2 buddies who parked their cars under the same grouping of trees had similar complaints and issues cleaning their cars. Nasty species whatever it was and wrong time of year I guess. So as I assume this is not an easy clean up job for you, and short of having pro-polishing skills and equipment, try a clay bar and follow the directions enclosed. If you have never tried this product you might be pleasantly surprised with the results and go for a full clean and wax as I did. Clay/Lexi

chorusguy

I believe rubbing alcohol takes sap off

Robert W Cox

TJ Hopland

https://seafoamsales.com/bugs-b-gone/

Works great getting bugs off.   I have not tried it on sap but it works with grass clippings even after they have been there for months.   I also have used it successfully for mouse residue and pet stains. 

Should be easy to find.   It seems to be sold everywhere Seafoam is sold which seems to be just about everywhere.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Lexi

All good suggestions though if your car has a nice finish I would be concerned that rubbing alcohol may dull it by also removing the wax. I would imagine re-waxing the area you spot cleaned should even out the finish. Have never tried that bug remover either. Clay/Lexi

TJ Hopland

I think the magic ingredient in the bugs be gone is a natural enzyme? that breaks down organic stuff.    Since its not a solvent it doesn't harm paint. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

gary griffin

I finally got it all off with alcohol and scraping with old credit cards. A lot of work but no damage  to the finish except a bit where I tried alternatives.. Should polish out though.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Chris Conklin

I'm a little late to be of help (story of my life)... but for sap I've always used WD-40.
Chris Conklin