News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1931 steering wheel removal

Started by 31355Aman, June 21, 2017, 07:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

31355Aman

I am new to the club and the message board and appreciate having access to all the knowledge on display on the message board.  Can anyone point me toward information on removing steering wheel on 1931 355A sedan?  I have the shop manual but it is very short on details.  Any other general literature that might help in disassembling this car for restoration would be a big help-I already know that breaking things gets very expensive for this car.

31caddy

you can thank Alan Merkel for this one  :) :

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=143428.msg350555#msg350555

Once you get everything apart that's in the center of the steering wheel, there will be a large nut to remove like on most any other type steering wheel. The wheel is on a tapered shaft that has a woodruff key in it. The headlight switch and pot metal gears are located under a cup with a wiring harness conduit attached to it below the steering box . These must be removed before you can pull the long shafts out as shown in the referenced topic. From a guy who has restored two 31 Cadillacs, one from a basket case, this is the most tedious and aggravating assembly on the entire car. There are bake light and pot metal pieces in the center and at the bottom of the steering column that will break if you look at them wrong. Good luck!
R. Rowland CLC #28971

1931 Model 355A Sedan (Recently sold)
1931 Model 355A Fleetwood 4535 Convertible Coupe
2005 Cadillac XLR

31355Aman

Many thanks to both of you for the insights.  I'm off to the garage to make it happen!