News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1960 Vinyl Roof coverings

Started by SK903, June 29, 2017, 04:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SK903

I know that the vinyl roof covering was standard on the Fleetwood 60 Special but was it an option on the DeVilles? Someone recently posted a pic of a 60 SDV with a vinyl roof.
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

jdemerson

Jon,

Vicodec roof coverings were available on the Fleetwood 60 Special and on the Eldorado Seville in 1960. I can't find an indication that they were an option on the SDV. But it those days, special orders (SO) were common and gave a very wide latitude of choices.  I cannot tell from data books and brochures whether the Vicodec fabric could be special ordered for the SDV, but it does seem quite possible.  Perhaps some owners will be more knowledgable on this point.

John Emerson
1952 Cadillac Sedan 6219X
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Vicodec roof standard on 1960 Eldorado Seville; optional on 60 Special only. Not optional on Series 62 or DeVille.

I wouldn't exactly say Special Order cars common and if the roof on this car is indeed factory installed (supported by the body tag) it would be a first example so ordered of which I have knowledge.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

SK903

Thank you guys for this information.
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

SK903

I sent a message to the owner to see if it is indeed a vinyl roof or if it is just rust.   
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

There’s nothing good on TV tonight so I’m surfing the board and can tell you more than you want to know about Vicodec tops.  All Eldorado tops from ’56 through ’60 are regular diamond  or pin point convertible top fabric often in unique shades to match exclusive paint colors. If Eldorados were built on the same line as CDV’s, it would have been possible to order the top as Special Order since the material flow and processes would not know the difference in models.  I’ve never seen one, but that doesn’t mean one wasn’t built.

In 1960, the Sixty Special offered a fabric top in 15 colors matching paint offerings. The name Vicodec was used but the material was not like the Eldorado fabric.. The material had a unique  box-calf grain leather like textured finish. It also did not cover the entire roof panel. There was a one inch wide painted section along the drip rail that had a chrome bead along the fabric edge. The fabric section was thus narrower than the roof panel.

Betcha sorry you asked
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

SK903

Thank you Ralph for this info and your Eldo is a beauty!
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

nolacaddy1960

The pictures of my 60 were rust, though I have seen every cadillac even Cateras with vinyl roofs. (Aftermarket)

Walter Youshock

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

SK903

Thank you for advising that it was rust. I thought it probably was
2012 BMW 535I
1961 Eldorado Biarritz

nolacaddy1960

Quote from: Walter Youshock on July 01, 2017, 05:01:18 PM
A 1960 catera....

I just mentioned Catera because its a CINO  or a Cadillac in name only, I guess someone older than me would refer to the Cimarron.
Just saying I see one all the time with a vinyl roof.  I have also seen Vinyl on DTS and even the CTS-V.

Personally I never liked Vinyl or Landeau but to each his own.

dochawk

Quote from: nolacaddy1960 on July 06, 2017, 12:41:07 PM
I just mentioned Catera because its a CINO  or a Cadillac in name only, I guess someone older than me would refer to the Cimarron.

*gack*

go wash your keyboard out with soap, and never mention the cinnamon again!

What would your mother say if she saw you mention such abominations????

:)

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)