News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Repacking front Ball bearings

Started by Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373, July 01, 2017, 09:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Ok. I have to admit stupid here. I searched the forums. Internet, youtube, etc because I didn't want to have to post this question.
55 - how do you repack the front ball bearings?

I am not a mechanic but I certainly have repacked my share of tapered roller bearings. I can do them in my sleep-But never ball bearings. Obviously they dont hold grease like the nwwer ones. The hub was 100% full of old grease that I had to chisel out of there. Do I want that thing full of grease? I have the manual and have read about preloading them.
Sorry for the elementary question.

Just call me "Bill."
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Bill,

Packing is the same, but no need to completely fill the hub, but make sure that there is grease around it.

Centrifugal force will always force the grease to the outer areas.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Bobby B

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 01, 2017, 10:17:28 PM
Packing is the same, but no need to completely fill the hub, but make sure that there is grease around it.
Centrifugal force will always force the grease to the outer areas.

I never understood the reason why people even put grease in the hub. The spindle shaft is no where near the diameter of the inside of the hub.  Can someone explain the purpose of this? Will grease automatically flow into the bearings when needed  ;D ;D ;D
                                            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

The Tassie Devil(le)

The only time grease will "flow" is when it gets hot.

All that is needed to be done is encase the bearing with grease, and install.

The reason boat trailers have the caps with grease nipples in them to fill the cavity is to keep out the water when the trailer goes into the water when launching and retrieving.

This is especially important when launching as most people will have driven to the ramp, creating heat, and then suddenly immerse the axle in the cold water, and the heat will try and suck the water inside the hub.   Next time one tows the boat, give the hubs a chance to cool down before launching.   It could save you lots of money, and a blown bearing on the way home.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Bobby B

Bruce,
Thanks.... ;)
            Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

cadman56

I have to reply to this.  A very common mistake I have found is folks tighten these ball bearings like they are the taperd kind.  Do not tighten them like this.  I worked for a bearing company and learned to just snug them up then back the nut off until the cotter key slips through the first slot in the nut.
I also use a boat trailer/marine grease on all my bearings and suspension.  Lubriplate to be specific.
Packing instructions given above are correct.  Make sure the bearing ball retainer is completely packed with grease.  Good luck.
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

The Tassie Devil(le)

Don't forget that in the old days, repacking the front wheel bearings was recommended at regular intervals, just like cleaning out the Sump, and de-coking and valve grinding the cylinder heads, and the combustion chambers, plus, oil changes every 1000 miles.

Now days, the front wheel bearings are not touched, the sumps never removed, the heads never removed, and oil changes every 10,000 miles.

The modern day grease quality has improved to allow long-life ability.

I was always told to completely fill the hubs with grease, and now I just pack the bearings, and the hub is empty.   Saves grease, and not to mention, the mess when working on a wheel hub.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Thanks for mentioning that Larry,

I also make mention that it is imperative that when running disc brakes, that is converting a ball bearing front end to disc brakes, it is necessary to also convert the ball bearings to roller bearings.

This takes away the "slop" in the huh, which is detrimental to the operations of the disc pads.   It pops the pads too far away from the surface of the disc as the wheel rotates, thus the initial application of the brake pedal is taken up in re-setting the pads to gain full application on the next pedal pressure.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TJ Hopland

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on July 02, 2017, 08:42:40 AM
I also make mention that it is imperative that when running disc brakes, that is converting a ball bearing front end to disc brakes, it is necessary to also convert the ball bearings to roller bearings.

Interesting tip.   So a good kit is going to include a new hub vs one that just includes a rotor 'hat' that just slides on the existing hub?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jon S

In the 1950's the grease used for ball bearings was a thick fibrous white grease unlike the blue moly greases available today. This grease was carefully packed into the bearing to ensure the balls were tight. No excess grease.

Since these cars had drum brakes, the heat could cause excess grease to melt and possibly contaminate the brake linings. As such, excess grease is a no no
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Ok, thanks everybody. I didn't want to not have enough grease in there but I didn't want to overpack the hub like was done if it isn't necessary.
Thanks
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

V63

For the process of applying grease to the bearing set, I use a plastic sandwhich bag. Plop a table spoon of grease in the bag with the bearing. Then work and smoosh the grease into the bearing set (from outside the bag 😂)

Jon S

Quote from: V63 on July 02, 2017, 01:32:03 PM
For the process of applying grease to the bearing set, I use a plastic sandwhich bag. Plop a table spoon of grease in the bag with the bearing. Then work and smoosh the grease into the bearing set (from outside the bag 😂)

Good idea, but you have to make sure you get all the old dirty grease out and replace it with clean.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

TJ Hopland

I bought one of these 20+ years ago and its a simple tool that works great.   If you are working on old cars you already have a grease gun anyway for chassis stuff so hardly anything extra to buy. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-65250?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-lisle&gclid=CKeLmrib69QCFcm6wAodrlQJIg

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Lexi

Ditto on TJ's recommendation. Those bearing packers work great and are well worth the money. Clay/Lexi

cadman56

Have to mention here, tongue in cheek, if you hand pack with bare hands you get all the grease out of your hands.  Of course my hands are clean to start.  Just had to make you all laugh a bit?  Still a messy job no matter how you do it.
Larry
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac Convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville (sold)
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac Convertible (Sold)
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance
Larry Blanchard CLC #5820

The Tassie Devil(le)

Heck, I just use the old fashioned way and get down and dirty.   Bearing in one hand, with the finger in the hole, and dive it into the tub of grease, many times.   But, after thoroughly cleaning it if it was a used bearing.

Then, after getting it full of grease, with the other hand, (finger) make sure that it is completely full.   Then I do the rest whilst the hands are covered in grease.

Then remove the excess grease from my hands, and wash up, as one can guarantee that every time one gets their hands completely filthy, the brain warns the body that one needs to ablute.   Works nearly every time as we get older.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: TJ Hopland on July 02, 2017, 09:10:08 AM
Interesting tip.   So a good kit is going to include a new hub vs one that just includes a rotor 'hat' that just slides on the existing hub?
Very much doubt it, and they wouldn't even recommend to the purchaser the need to convert to tapered roller bearings.

And they probably didn't even consider the run-out that ball bearings create.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: V63 on July 02, 2017, 01:32:03 PM
G'day William,

What a great idea.   Thanks for showing us a better way to tackle a nasty (messy) task.

What a great club we are in.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Jon S on July 02, 2017, 11:08:15 AM
Since these cars had drum brakes, the heat could cause excess grease to melt and possibly contaminate the brake linings. As such, excess grease is a no no
Many years ago, I packed the hubs full with grease on my '56 de Ville. The result was that the grease contaminated the brake linings. since then, I just put enough grease on each bearing, no more.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101