News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Auto transporter who can bring my car to the GN...

Started by J.C., July 03, 2017, 07:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.C.

Anybody know an auto transporter who could bring my car from Ft. Lauderdale to the GN and home again?
JH
2023 Genesis G80 Electrified
2023 Volvo V60 Recharge

kkkaiser

a word of note on these people. 
I recently put out that i needed a car haul from denver to billings..i got dozens of replies,,,i found one that could fit a better time frame for my delivery.

he quoted me,, 625.00   i said fine.. that would work,,,,he said he needed a down payment of 175.  which i paid.  i figured i owed, the balance at delivery.

upon delivery, the driver said i owed him 625.00.  i told him i already paid the 175 and owed balance due,, i contacted trucking co.. they said, oh,, no,,, that was just there fee, the 175.  i owed 625.  That was never disclosed,,  they didn't separate the chargers,, and thus, i was on the hook  for the 175 and the 625.  an nasty exchange followed with the trucking broker.

I already had a figure of 550 to drive to denver, pick up myself on trailer and drive back,, that included gas and hotel..  and i had no intention of spending 800 bucks to have car brought....and got hooked,, so be sure to ask plenty of questions....and know what you are being charged for.

35-709

Shipping has been talked about extensively here from time to time, be very wary of truck brokers, better in my view to deal directly with a quality shipper. 

As good as some shippers are it seems that someone here has had a bad experience with any one you can name.  Reliable Carriers --- http://www.reliablecarriers.com/ --- seems to do as well as any and better than most. 

My neighbor with 30 some odd high dollar and one of a kind sports cars and race cars uses Horseless Carriage exclusively.
http://www.horselesscarriage.com/
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

chrisntam

The stories of car transport to the GN sound very discouraging.....

:(
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Barry M Wheeler #2189

When I (helped) started this thing back in 1980, I had no idea of the scope and life-changing things that have occurred since then. As far as speaking for the Club, I think I can safely say that your support, interest, and indeed, delight in attending a GN by our members from all over the country, and indeed the world, is very much appreciated. Next weekend I will attend a planning meeting for my third GN.

That you people would spend a great deal of money to have your car appear on the show field is mind boggling. That some of you have  become involved with businesses that gloss over their rates and services to transport your vehicles is just plain disheartening. Many of you do not have the time to get on the road and simply drive there as I plan to do.

For those of you that do plan to do this, please take a copy of your Directory along, as if you have a problem, most of our fellow members you might find nearby will most likely, do their best to get you back on the road. As we pulled onto the Mass Turnpike several years ago, I pulled up behind a couple of '49s on the shoulder. They were about ready to go again, but appreciated the effort I offered in stopping.

A few years ago, I was thinking of having a car shipped, and as I look back, I remember thinking that the rate seemed a little low for the services offered, and I thought that "I may have to pay more at the end."  I did have my '41 brought in from Arkansas years ago, but that was from a small ad in HMN before these brokers got into the business and keep calling six months after. That might be something to check out as  a private hauler that has good references from satisfied customers might be less expensive than the national haulers with the great reputations.

Best of luck, and keep safe on the road. BW
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: johnregrus on July 04, 2017, 01:46:23 PM
The quote I got was $10,354.00 for a full load and $4,250.00 for a single car. I posted those numbers here on the forum back on April 5th 2017 looking for anyone interested. .........
......The quote suddenly  changed from $4.250.00 to $6,800.00 per single vehicle. I complained and was advised they would investigate and get back to me............. The next day I received a phone call and the woman said that the rate should in fact be $4,250.00 and with a long pause then stated "each way".......... So now they wanted $8,500.00 times two cars, $17,000.00 to ship my cars to the event for a one day on the field event which does not make any sense.
Boy, you people are being ripped off.   Those costs quoted are more than it costs to get a car, or even a 40 foot container filled with 4 cars to Australia/Tasmania.   Including all the importation fees.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Paul Tesone

I guess I should add my two cents - or in this case $2650.00 - worth of information . I do so not only to inform the readers of a disappointing experience , but more importantly to pass along some good that came out of it .A few weeks ago , I started calling the well known transport carriers to get quotes to get one , possibly two vehicles - depending on the cost - from Boston to the GN and back to Boston using an enclosed trailer....... Boston Car Carriers , Thomas Sunday , and Grand Turismo couldn't help me , but Grand Turismo was willing to put me in touch with someone with whom they did regular business . Autobahn - $3500 for one car , $5500 for two ; Horseless Carriage -$5000.00 for two cars ; Passport - $2650.00 for one car . I contacted a seventh carrier , whose name I will tell you if you contact me through a personal email . My first contact was by telephone and I was quoted $2500.00 for one car . Shortly thereafter , I went to the Barrett Jackson auction in Conn and visited their booth to see if I would get the same quote . Surprise , surprise - same information got me a quote of $3200.00 for one car . A short time after the auction , I thought I would call that same carrier for another quote - just to see if the quote at the auction was a mistake . Apparently it was , because their next quote was $7100.00 for one car . At that point , I decided to call Horseless Carriage figuring if two cars would cost $5000.00 , then one car would cost $2500.00 .  I left a message and received information to call back to find out why one car would be $3100.00 , not the $2500.00 that I thought it would be . That left me with Passport's $2650 quote  ; so I booked it . ....... Now the GOOD PART of the story . Christine at Passport was delightful and very easy to deal with . She explained everything and made the process easy . I did call Horseless Carriage back as requested , and had an absolutely wonderful , sincere and pleasant conversation with a lady named Kymm . She explained that the $5000.00 quote for two cars represented a multicar discount and $3100.00 was the correct quote for one car . Very understandable .......The message I want to pass on is that I wouldn't hesitate to do business with either Passport or Horseless Carriage based on my conversations with their representatives . I felt very comfortable dealing with both of them . They were professional , sincere and helpful  - unlike that seventh transporter that I didn't name . ...... I once spoke to a tile setter who told me if he really didn't want to do a job , he would quote a ridiculous fee . If the person was dumb enough to agree , he would then do the job .What a shame some carriers seem to be throwing out an outrageous number to see if they get any bites . They should be professional and refuse the job , as some of the carriers did do with me . Hope to see some wonderful cars and many of you at the GN . .... Paul Tesone (tess352@yahoo.com) CLC #6876. 

Bobby B

I have gotten better quotes from small private carriers, but you need to make sure that they have the proper insurance coverage. One of the key factors in getting a sweet deal is booking way in advance and being flexible with your time frame. But I guess in the case of having to attend an event on a specific arrival and departure schedule, that they know they kinda have you by the b***s. It's really a shame that even car carriers are price gouging. And don't fool yourself either..they all kinda know one another, and it's a smaller world than you think. These numbers are depressing me.... :-[
                                                                                                                                               Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

The last time I shipped a car to a show was about 8 years ago.  I can't believe things have changed that much.

The "average fee" then was $1.50 per mile plus paying for the driver's meals, hotel etc.
for each night he stayed at the nearby hotel.  For that, I had my car delivered to the
show field and kept in his trailer until the day he arrived (usually the night before).

I mostly used a private hauler, the same fellow for the five years I showed the car
He's retired now, unfortunately.  He was recommended by my restoration shop
and recommendations in this business are worth their weight in gold.  Too many
rip off artists.

As the previous post indicated, all of the "big name" haulers know each other and
keep their rates in line.  They don't want to disturb the gravy train you know.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

dochawk

Quote from: Paul Tesone on July 05, 2017, 11:36:22 PM
I once spoke to a tile setter who told me if he really didn't want to do a job , he would quote a ridiculous fee

But be careful doing that, which I learned the hard way as a lawyer . . .

Before she even sat down in my office, a woman told me her astrological sign, and that that it was "very important" to her case.

The papers cited "refuses to take her meds" as part of the reason for eviction . . .

I quoted a top end, up front fee, for Cadillac level legal services, and figured I'd seen the last of her.

She came back that afternoon with cash . . .

While I won, I learned a lesson.

I also quoted $100,000 as the up front retainer for murder cases--which is why I never had to do one . . .

Anyway, I'm kind of shocked by the transport costs.  I can't imagine paying that kind of money to transport a car to a show.

Then again, my interests don't run to a car that I would be worried about driving there, either for the risk of breakdown, road hazards & wear, or the mileage.   I sure like to look at those, but I'm really not interested in owning a car I have to hesitate before driving . . .

hawk
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

TonyZappone #2624

I ship a modern cars to FLorida every year by enclosed carrier.  Brokers drive me crazy, and have no credibility (to me anyway).  A very popular FLorida carrier that dispatches from a central warehouse in Florida is on my bad list too, for reasons I will disclose privately.  I too have a local carrier that is trustworthy, good for local hauling, etc.  For good service, reliability, Passport, Horseless Carriage are great, and to me believable.  Remove your ez pass and sunpass from your car before you ship it.  Yes, they still work in the center console and you will have another additional bill beside the freight charge.
Tony Zappone, #2624
1936 Pierce-Arrow conv sed
1947 Cadillac Conv cpe
1958 Cadillac conv
2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum
2022 Chrysler Pacifica Pinnacle