News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Screen Door Spring

Started by Steve Rinaldo, July 05, 2017, 07:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rinaldo

I just got back home from a week long brass car tour. Many of the guys put screen door springs over their rubber gas lines. They said that it helped the restart on a hot engine. I am wondering what you guys think about this, especially on 322 and 346 flatheads. Steve

Jay Friedman

Is this to prevent a mild case of vapor lock?  It sounds similar to using wooden clothes pins on a steel fuel line to dissipate heat and control vapor lock (which sounds sort of silly but seems to work).

Screen door springs have many uses.  When my '49's clutch return spring broke some years ago and I couldn't find another, I temporarily replaced it with a screen door spring which worked well.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Steve and Jay,

Interesting. Seems Steve is suggesting that we put the spring over gas line from the fuel pump to the carburetor.

It is an interesting concept.

The Brass guys drive the p!!s out of their cars so one should not discount this.

The Old Fat boy is going to give it a try on his 53 Cadillac.

Steve thanks for the suggestion. Oh if it does not work we bill beat you like a dog (ha, ha).

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series