News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1975 and up whitewall

Started by caddyfam, July 07, 2017, 02:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caddyfam

Those who are in need of similar to factory whitewall and are displeased with the American Classic "eggs" there is a solution.  I have used the coker classics on my 76 Fleetwood since the end of the 721. Of the four I bought, three had to be returned for defects.  The last replacement took almost 6oz of weights to balance.  Some of the problems are: dimples  in sidewall, whitewall cracks,  and some more out of round than others.  Yes they will replace the tires, my left rear has been replaced twice, but factor in shiooing and mount and balance everytime.  They are charging a premium price with no dealer discount but not offering a premium tire.  For the truly picky, the black band between the rim and whitewall is too wide.
There have been no other offerings to compete with the am classic until recently.  Last spring I found a listing for Suretrac tires, made in China. After doing some background, the company has been in business for over 30 years making trailer and heavy equipment tires.   They offer a p235/75r15 with a 1.5in. white, with specs of treadwear 440, traction a, temp a.  These went on our 76eldorado coupe,  balanced up nicely, nothing over 5oz. and seem to ride very well.  Compared to the factory Uniroyal pr6 that were on the car, the 1.5in. whitewall is about 1/8 in. less on the new tire.  Also the distance from the rim to edge of white is correct.  Currently there are only two distributors importing them and after inquiring the Suretrac company, the minimum order is a container full.  Online pricing for this tire is between $75 and $100 depending on where you look.   The company offers the wide white in many sizes, great for the 80'S models and like the originals the whitewall thickness reduces with tire size, for example a 205/75 or 70 has 1.2in. whitewall.  I will be talking to Tire Rack after we have road tested these tires further.
This is purely informational so take it for what it is worth.  If you would like actual pictures, let me know.

TJ Hopland

You got them from Tire Rack or if they seem decent you hope to talk Tire Rack into carrying them?

Seems like I have heard the name before back when I had friends that were into off-roading or at least pretending they were.   Seems like they were an early brand to offer 'big' tires for reasonable prices.     

Where does the Hankook fall as far as closeness on the stripe?     The last set I bought were 14's so I don't know how those compare to the 15's.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

caddyfam

These came from a supplier in Calif. Tire rack will look into it after we have road tested them Will also approach Summit since we are so close and they have dealt with a number of Am Classic returns. Will probably drive the car to them eventually. To my knowledge Hankook only offers the 1" whitewall.

caddyfam

here is pic

Thejumpsuitman

I have a set on my '76 Fleetwood and my '76 Coupe DeVille...  no problems except for careless wrapping at factory on the second set which caused discoloration of the whitewall where the clear plastic tape Came into contact with it.  But the discoloration eventually faded away.

TJ Hopland

Likely doesn't have the correct size stripe but just noticed in the Cooper catalog that white side wall is back in the Trendsetter SE tire for the common 15" sizes.     

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Passenger/TRENDSETTER-SE.asp     

Lots of places stock and sell Cooper so should be an easy one to get for those that don't like a challenge.      Just checked online at a local store and oddly they are showing in stock for $73 each for a 215 75 15.   Their search doesn't let me type in a size, only car model and they only go back to 80.    I would think the 225 or 235 would be pretty close in price.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason