News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1970 cadillac pickup

Started by denis62, July 10, 2017, 08:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

denis62

Just purchased this gold 1970 gold Cadillac pickup(my effort to post pics where unsuccessful, please Google search for "1969 Cadillac pickup", "images" you should  find on the first row a pic of my car in gold 3/4 rear shot at a campground)

can anyone please identify or give me any info on this "unicorn"
anything ? anything at all?

I don't think its a flower car since it has a functioning tailgate and the bed is fiberglass like the "caribou". But caribou didn't make anything before 1973 I think.

help

thanx

Denis

D.Smith

Your car was not a Flower car.    Flower cars were rare and very costly as they were coachbuilt on the extra long, Cadillac Commercial chassis.   (see the white 1975 version below)

Some Funeral Homes on a budget would have a standard Calais coupe made into an economy Flower Car by McClain.   (see black and white photo below)  McClain used a unique roofline.

What you have is even more rare.   Some people wanted a pick up truck for their Ranch or just to impress their friends at the Country Club.   They have one-off conversions done to their Coupe deVilles into El Camino like vehicles.  Evel Knievel had one, Glenn Campbell had one.   A couple of custom car builders marketed them in very limited numbers and sold them thru exclusive Cadillac dealers.    The Mirage and Caribou were two such examples.    But those came a few years later than yours.    In 69 you pretty much had to find a custom builder to make you one.     So they are all a little different depending on what donor car parts were purchased.   So you most likely have a one-off.       

denis62

I found 3 blurry pic of a 1969 restoration on a red one in an old Hemming's article from 2010 from a fellow named Paul Palandri (anybody him or of him?)
but I wasn't able to find anything else.

I know about Caribou and Mirage and also Paris from 77 on.

Denis

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Here's my 79 Paris.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

D.Smith

I have 309 photos of custom made Cadillac pick up trucks in my archives, but only one set is of a 1969.

And it is also gold.    But the roof is different, so most likely made by a different company.

D.Smith

This is the only 1970 in my archives and I'm guessing it is yours.    The pics are from June 2017,  Ebay I think.

denis62

thanks guys for joining the discussion

Yes this last one is mine.
The one that comes up from the" 1969 Cadillac pickup" from pinterest is also mine(error in year obviously)
the bed trim looks to be  from a 70's Ranchero(square corners)
Still trying to figure out the tailgate handle.

Denis

TJ Hopland

Is the release button in the middle of the handle?

Those body lines on rear sides give an interesting look with the straight lines of the top of the 'bed'.     
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

denis62

yes the button is in the middle. And it folds down rather than push in

Denis

35-709

Caribou Motors started building pickups circa 1955, the oldest one I have seen is a 1965.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

denis62

Where does the Caribou info come from? I can seem to find anything that old on the net.

thanx

Denis

35-709

Not easy to find Caribou information, their plant burned to the ground in the mid-'80s, the building, all equipment and records were reportedly lost, they never re-opened.  There are other CLC members that have owned Caribous well before I had mine but they don't speak up much.  At some point in the past the Caribou was covered in "The Self Starter".  Caribou also built a few Lincoln pickups they called the "Coloma".

https://en.wheelsage.org/lincoln/continental_mark_series/87049/69400/pictures/465829/

I have seen a Coloma in green and white also. 

D.Smith

Quote from: denis62 on July 20, 2017, 08:54:59 AM
Where does the Caribou info come from? I can seem to find anything that old on the net.

thanx

Denis

They were in South San Francisco. California  Linden Ave.

D.Smith

Quote from: 35-709 on July 13, 2017, 07:50:19 PM
Caribou Motors started building pickups circa 1955, the oldest one I have seen is a 1965.

They made them into the 80s.

denis62

few replies
D.Smith; yes this is my car
Greg "Cadillac kid"; love your Paris

I would love to know what mine is; don't know if its a Caribou or ?
Never saw a pre 71 Caribou or Mirage.

Still looking, thanx to everybody for jumping in

Denis

35-709

It wouldn't be a Mirage, they weren't built until about 1974 or 1975.

denis62

Caribou's old advertisement say they have been building them since 1954.

Does anybody have any info on pre 72 caribou Cadillac pickups(specifically 69 and 70 models) ?

thanx

Denis

35-709

What info are you looking for?  If you are looking for production numbers, I doubt they exist anymore as all Caribou records were reportedly lost in the 1985 fire.

denis62

I know about records being lost.
I have been Googling the c*** out for anything available.
Looking for other sources, looking for any info, pics, sightings, owners of pre 72 cars
and any other companies or individuals making more than one Cadillacs into pickups(low production)

as much as mine looks like a Caribou, I don't know for sure that it is.
I only know there is more than one because I found a picture of another one.

thanx ahead for any info

Denis

67CaddyV

I have seen one of these in person.  Very cool!