News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Input on lack of 1968 SDV parts at many sources

Started by taintedsaint, July 10, 2017, 07:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taintedsaint

This is not to decry the shortages we all see for whichever year and model we own, instead of a skip in years at many vendors.
Not those for the REALLY hard to find stuff, but more benign things. Case in point, OPGI is a source I use for some of my other cars and was pleased to look through their Caddy catalog for small things like seals, knobs etc. When looking at door handle seals I found they had a kit but when you look at handles themselves, they go to -67 then start again in 69. This was the case on other things like windshield glass, seat upholstery, on and on. Now, for my project I don't need glass or upholstery but I started wondering why. I know my 68 shares a lot with the 67 and some with 69 but was the front bench a one year? Glass? Door handles? Any input from members to help me avoid frustration over the next few months of assembling parts in preparation for restore would be appreciated. Thanks as always.
Nokesville, VA 20181

cadillactim

Door handles and glass same on 67 and 68 (differences between models but not years).

Bench seat upholstery and seat backs 68 only.  (67-68 Eldo may be same, not sure)

Tim
Tim Groves

Barry M Wheeler #2189

It sounds as if you need a Master Parts Book. Usually expensive, but well worth it if you need a lot of parts. They generally cover many years.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

1968deville

New member w/ new car James Hubbard here.
I have 1968 deville convertible
Caribe aqua ext., white top and blue interior

Need learned help with restoration of door cards.
Previous owner damaged fiber board backing edges where screws secure onto door.
Can I buy salvage card, remove vinyl and cover with matching color vinyl ? (it is available)

taintedsaint

Appreciate all the input, especially from you Barry. I have collected Fisher Body manual and the shop manual. Guess the master parts book is the next purchase. I felt pretty comfortable about the door handles and windshield but it was obvious the seat was different. THanks guys.
Nokesville, VA 20181

Chris Conklin

Check the Modified Chapter web site; I believe they have the illustrated parts guides there through 1975.
Chris Conklin

Scot Minesinger

If I write about my experience with OPGI the moderators will take it down because you are never allowed to write anything negative although completely accurate.  I found just about every other parts supplier lower in price and far better lead times on 1960's-1970's Cadillac.  For 1968 you should be OK on most parts:

1.  For engine use MTS in California.
2.  For climate controls, cruise, power antenna, twilight sentinel, and that type of thing Cadillac Tim in SC
3.  For many parts also try eBay, there are usually hundreds of good used parts.
4.  For mechanical parts, such as power steering pumps, alternators, and the like it is all about quality, USA Parts has been to me.
5.  For hard to find cosmetic and trim parts Cadillacs Only and Cadillac King have been great.

Have never had an issue finding any part, it is just a matter of time and money.

The secret is buy the hard to find parts when you don't need them, and you will some day.  Only buy small easy to store parts.  Needed a carb on my 1970 Cadillac, no problem had an NOS one bought for same price as a core and rebuild a few years back.  Had I started searching for it, would have been twice as much.

Good luck and enjoy your 1968 Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

D.Smith

Many of the 68 parts are one year only.    69 was a major restyle inside and out.    Even with mechanical parts, so much was being improved around that time that the 69 parts were slightly different and thus have different part numbers. 

When I had my 68 Eldorado I was constantly frustrated by the lack of quality parts or knowledge of people of cross interchangeability.    Some things you just had to have a 68 part, like the headlamp switch for example.   Others like the power brake booster had a different part number in 69, but would work if you repositioned the brake lines.