News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1940 LaSalle model 52 trunk latch jammed

Started by CraigD, July 13, 2017, 01:51:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigD

The trunk lock on my 1940 LaSalle 52 special was working, but it has now jammed such that I can't turn the key, and the trunk is locked. I was using the ignition key to lock and unlock it, but I saw in a post that there were two keys for the 1938 LaSalle, one for the doors and ignition, and one for the glove box and trunk. Was that true of 1940? I only received one key with the car when I purchased it.

I was going to try to get into the trunk by removing the back of the back seat, but the manual indicates that you need to get into the trunk to remove the back of the back seat. Any thoughts on how to get the trunk open?

Craig Duerling
Cambridge, Maryland
1940 LaSalle Model 52 Special
2007 BMW 530i
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Does your city/town have an old fashioned lock-smith? If you don't wish to damage your handle, I would suggest finding one of these craftsmen and have them do the job. Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

CraigD

Thanks Barry. I was able to confirm that I should have two keys, and that the ignition key (which is the only one I received with the car) should not have been able to lock the trunk. I now have an appointment with a good locksmith who is also a classic car person.

Craig Duerling
Cambridge, Maryland
2007 BMW 530i

CraigD

I thought I would give you, as Paul Harvey used say, "The rest of the story." Although I had used the ignition key to lock the trunk, I found out, thanks to forum members, that the car should have two keys, one for the ignition and doors (which I received with the car) and one for the trunk and the glove box (which I did not receive with the car). I remembered that the garage where my dad worked in the 50s and 60s had a set of, I think, 50 keys that would open any GM car. I decided to try other GM keys that I had around the house and found one that with a little jiggling and a great shout of joy from me opened the trunk. I took the trunk handle off to take it to the locksmith rather than driving the car there. I also decided to take the glove box door to the locksmith. It turned out that was a good plan as they could easily disassemble the glove box lock, and inside was a code stamped into the lock that allowed them to make a key for it very easily. I now have working keys for these locks and working locks.

Craig Duerling
Cambridge, Maryland
2007 BMW 530i