News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

How Do You Get Original Plates?

Started by rochestergremlin, July 12, 2017, 12:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rochestergremlin

I am trying to put on some original plates for my 1933 Cadillac, but I can't find out how to go about making the plates legal again.  I only know that you can't do it via the DMV.  Does anyone out there have any idea how to do this?

Bill Ingler #7799

What state is the car registered? Do you have 1933 plate from that state?    Bill

Barry M Wheeler #2189

In Indiana you must apply through the DMV and also have the correct plate for the year restored in the correct original colors. I would assume that this procedure would be applicable in all states that offer this option.

You might also keep in mind that you might (should) exhibit more than the usual amount of courtesy, meekness, whatever to the person behind the desk. When I needed a correct title when selling my 1941 Fleetwood to a friend in Delaware, doing so paid off royally. When I came back from lunch with another suggestion, the lady (who had originally said that the procedure might take weeks) was waving a handful of papers with a big smile on her face. These people not only think we are crazy, we are a major interruption in their day. Best of luck. BW
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

oldcarguy

Here in Lawrence county Tenn. it's pretty simple, take your correct year, clearly readable Tenn tag and your title or registration or bill of sale [on these old girls] and the DMV will register that tag to your car. I have a matched pair [remember those?] on my '59 Impala, even has the county number on them. 
I guess it's not that easy everywhere. Anyway, good luck with that, it's a cool thing to have on your car, but it's not for a daily driver.
Don Ford

1941 SERIES 6219D
2017 XTS
Others:
1949 Mercury coupe
1964 Pontiac LeMans
1959 Chevy Impala

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Google Historic/Classic Plates and your state. There should be a dmv site that explains it. In MO it is pretty simple. If you need to get a plate there are websites that sell them. You can see the plates and email the #'s to the dmv to be sure they are use able before you buy them.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Bill Ingler #7799

Here in Arizona you have at least 3 types of plates for the old cars. You car run a plate from the year of manufacture, Classic Car plate or Historic Vehicle plate. The plate for year of manufacture has to be restored with original colors. All you need is title, year of manufacture plate, insurance card and money.  Bill

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Indiana must have a little latitude in color as a friend in our local car club has a 1941 plate on his Hudson. The main back ground should be a flat grey blue with white numerals and he painted his a much brighter blue. Whatever, it is a very nice original car and the plate "helps." Good luck.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Chris Conklin

What do you mean by "make them legal again"? I'm guessing that you have '33 plates that are too worn or discolored for the DMV to allow them?
Chris Conklin

m-mman

Quote from: rochestergremlin on July 12, 2017, 12:44:12 PM
I am trying to put on some original plates for my 1933 Cadillac, but I can't find out how to go about making the plates legal again.  I only know that you can't do it via the DMV.  Does anyone out there have any idea how to do this?

This is your incorrect premise. ANYTHING that has to do with titles, registration or license plates MUST always and forever happen through your state's motor vehicle department.

They make and enforce any and all rules related to the same.

Website or in person your state DMV will have information about what is and is not acceptable and how to achieve what you are trying to accomplish.

1929 341B Town Sedan
1971 Miller-Meteor Lifeliner ambulance
Other non-Cadillac cars
Near Los Angeles, California

CLC #29634

Jeff Hansen

I believe I saw in another post that you live in New York.  This link tells you what you need to do:

https://dmv.ny.gov/apply-vintage-plates

Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

tturley

A couple of years ago I purchases a barn find 40 Lasalle that had YOM Kansas plates so I took the plates and title to the Kansas DMV and asked them if they could be used and what I needed to do.
They told me that the original plates were the property of the previous owner and could only be used with written permission of the owner and must be legible and original colors.
I think the previous owner had passed so I reluctantly settle for antique plates.
Since I had just gotten the car a day earlier when I got home I started cleaning it out and was overjoyed to find a letter in the glove box relinquishing the rights to the plates so I ran back to the DMV and they took back the antique plates and issued a registration for the YOM plates.
Member # 28929
1940 Lasalle model 5019
2011 Escalade platinum Edition
1995 Ford F-150
2015 Buick Enclave

49 Convertible

In California once you have the plates and they are "clear" (meaning that the sequence of letters and/or numbers has not been replicated in another year).  You contact DMV to make sure by giving them the year and plate sequence.  They then give you the OK and you can go to AAA or the DMV and register your plates to your vehicle. They will give you a temp registration and some time later via mail you will receive a new "pink slip" and appropriate month and year tags for attachment to a metal tab they provide you with and off into the sunset you go.

Herman.
Herman Desser
clc # 19416