News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

!941 Cadillac 60 Special deck lid

Started by 60 Special, July 12, 2017, 10:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

60 Special

I have a deck lid that has rust along the bottom outer edge, so I began a search for a replacement/ interchange. In the parts manual, part no. 412 1872 is listed for 41-6019s, 19sa. No other model 60 Specials were listed 1938-40. I was under the assumption that 38-41 all shared the same body but with different bumpers, fenders, front clip etc? Is there any other GM car that shares the same deck lid? I realize it was a Fleetwood body, so does that exclude it from interchange with other GM's. Any leads for a rust free replacement are more than welcome.

Barry M Wheeler #2189

There were no other cars that shared the 60S body shell. You do have four years to choose from.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

The part number is different in 41 because of the different latch I believe.  The basic shell is the same 38 to 41.  You are looking for something really hard to find because if you have a trunk lid that is not rusted on the bottom edge you have a really good car.  That would be the one to restore.  I doing a 60S restoration that is one of the easier places to fix the rust.  The tough part is the wood sill and floor around it.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Paul Phillips

My 41 60S had rust in the same area.  If you look at the design, it appears that any water that gets between the inner frame and the skin will follow the skin to the bottom edge and be trapped there - the weep holes are too high on the inner frame.  Leakage is likely around the trunk handle & license plate support cutouts.  Anyway, a good old-time body man can fabricate a new section.  We replaced about the bottom 1-1/2" on mine.  Photo is after media blast & epoxy but before repair.

Brad - agree on the wood sill & floor around it - rusts from the wood side up.  Also a bit interesting in that they nailed the floorboard to the wood, then proceeded to build up the steel body from there.  You will find several nail heads trapped between welded layers above, which makes sill removal more 'exciting'.  If you need support on replacing the wood, Barry has the factory prints available for reasonable donation to the Museum.  I scanned these full size to be able to print and use when making templates and router fixtures.  I still have the templates, but not sure how easy it would be to share those across the country.  Trickiest parts without CNC tooling are the bevel on the outer +/- 3" of the main sills, the pockets for the lateral channels, and the top surface of the aux sills in the front floorboard area.

Good luck on you projects!
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Barry M Wheeler #2189

I just noticed Paul's comment and looked to my right in the corner where I usually keep the rolled up plans in a mailing tube. Could it be that someone is still working on their wood and hasn't returned the plans to me yet? If you should still have them, please just let me know where they are. The museum has a set I believe, so there is still a way to copy them. Thanks, Barry
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Paul Phillips

Barry - I have a full size scan of them which can be printed out if the originals are lost.  I used that to make full size routing templates for some of my parts. 

FYI for those have not seen these wood sills before - here are mine as individual parts before assembly, a side by side of the assembly with the original main members, and one side in place under the body.  They are ash wood, sealed with CPES penetrating epoxy.  The sill extension/step plates are installed later.

Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout