News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1939-61 Differential Pinion Seal.

Started by lou-q, July 13, 2017, 08:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou-q

Is the differential pinion seal in a 1939 61 coupe hard to change? Ours has been dripping for quite a while and I'm getting tired of cleaning the garage floor.
Are these seal readily available?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Dave Shepherd

Do you mean the diff. pinion seal?

lou-q

Yes! The differential pinion seal.
Thanks,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

C Gorgas

What are the dimensions of the seal? There are two different versions and I have both or can steer you in the right direction as you prefer. Getting the yoke off will most likely require an impact wrench. If the seal is one piece use something to pry it out; if two piece be careful how you take it out because the outer part will be needed again and the thing is hard to find. The inner seal for the two piece is available. When replacing the yoke be careful in tightening the large nut so as to to damage the inner race washer...check your manual for proper torque. Hope this helps as I had the same problem and had the two piece seal. Chet 25441   

lou-q

Thanks Chet,
I will have my lift empty in a couple of weeks and I'll try it then.
I'm also installing a dual master cylinder on this car.
Loui
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Carl Fielding

HI Lou ! If it is a drip , try going up a notch in viscosity. I had a '73 Cad which leaked on 90 hypoid ,  went to 140 hypoid , and it stayed dry. You can go all the way up to a 250 hypoid , it won't hurt a thing. I love Cadillacs , cats , and dogs. Wouldn't be real thrilled if any took to messing the garage floor. I know there are plenty of guys who enjoy working on cars as much or more than they do driving them. I wish I did , but for me it's driving them. If you feel the same , heavy up , and go for a drive. Oh yeah : I don't like to let my Cads & cats sleep too long.  - Carl

lou-q

Thanks Carl,
It's a small puddle, several drops after I drive it mostly. But it also leaks over the winter when it's stored.
I will try heavier gear oil.
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us